Q. How to avoid HIV transmission from mother to baby during pregnancy and breastfeeding?

Dr. Sushma Shah

I was recently diagnosed with HIV positive, and I am 19 weeks pregnant. My concern is whether it will be safe for me to breastfeed my baby? And what happens if I do not have enough breast milk to make my baby full? If I can not exclusively breastfeed my baby, do I have to top up with formula milk? And also, what happens if I can not exclusively breastfeed for six months? Should I avoid breastfeeding altogether? I really and truly would like to breastfeed my baby, but I do not want to put my baby at risk. Please help.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. You are under medication, and your baby can get medicine from you. So, I have the following suggestions for you-

1. After baby delivery, you can take Nevirapine (NVP) drops immediately after birth. Continue these drops for one year and then substitute them with Nevirapine tablets.

2. You must take a healthy diet.

3. You can breastfeed your baby without any problem.

Milk production depends on how early you start feeding and baby suckling. Suckling must be strong. If the baby sleeps during breastfeeding, you have to wake the baby up to finish the feeding. If you require a milk substitute, your pediatric doctor will help you.

|