Q. Is it safe to take Omeprazole when breastfeeding?

Dr. Sujata Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 11, 2019

I am nursing a 2 month old, and I was told that I need to take Omeprazole. I have gallstones. So, my question is, is it safe to take 40 mg Omeprazole once daily while breastfeeding? My PCP says I should not, but the baby's pediatrician said it is alright. So, I am not sure what to do.

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Every drug taken by the mother will affect the baby. Omeprazole has fewer side effects, but it is not thoroughly studied for a breastfeeding mother. So, it is best that you take it on and off.
  • Gallstones do not necessarily require Omeprazole. I suggest you avoid taking non-vegetarian food, caffeine, smoking, etc. Eliminating these will be a healthy option for you as well as for your baby.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Can Omeprazole be used for gastritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have suffered from gastritis-like symptoms for about a week now. I have an occasional mild tummy ache and nausea which is relieved by belching. I have suffered from acute gastritis now for several years, although I cannot be 100 % certain why. I tested positive for the h. pylori bacteri...  Read Full »

Is Paracetamol safe for breastfeeding mothers?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 32 years old. We have a 5 month old baby girl. My wife is still feeding our baby. From yesterday, my wife has a fever, cold and throat infection. Can she take Paracetamol? Will it affect baby in any way? My wife's temperature is 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit.  Read Full »