Q. Is it safe to take Omeprazole when breastfeeding?

Dr. Sujata Mittal
Published on Sep 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 11, 2019

I am nursing a 2 month old, and I was told that I need to take Omeprazole. I have gallstones. So, my question is, is it safe to take 40 mg Omeprazole once daily while breastfeeding? My PCP says I should not, but the baby's pediatrician said it is alright. So, I am not sure what to do.

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Every drug taken by the mother will affect the baby. Omeprazole has fewer side effects, but it is not thoroughly studied for a breastfeeding mother. So, it is best that you take it on and off.
  • Gallstones do not necessarily require Omeprazole. I suggest you avoid taking non-vegetarian food, caffeine, smoking, etc. Eliminating these will be a healthy option for you as well as for your baby.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Can Omeprazole be used for gastritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have suffered from gastritis-like symptoms for about a week now. I have an occasional mild tummy ache and nausea which is relieved by belching. I have suffered from acute gastritis now for several years, although I cannot be 100 % certain why. I tested positive for the h. pylori bacteri...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.You seem to be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) associated with gastritis. Yes, you can take Omeprazole 20 mg. Once a day would be enough. There are no major side effects. There is no indication for taking triple therapy for h.pylori again. I advise the fol...  Read Full

Paracetamol for breastfeeding mother

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 32 years old. We have a 5 month old baby girl. My wife is still feeding our baby. From yesterday, my wife has a fever, cold and throat infection. Can she take Paracetamol? Will it affect baby in any way? My wife's temperature is 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit.  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, temperature above 100 degrees Fahrenheit is regarded as fever and not below that. Baby is supposed to be breastfed at all times. However, if the mother is suffering from a disease, it is advised for her to wear a mask and feed. Because, that is the route b...  Read Full