Q. Can I use eye massage pen instead of warm compress for Meibomian gland dysfunction?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

I have been diagnosed with Meibomian gland dysfunction and I was advised to put warm compresses under my eyes. The problem is that it is causing me a lot of dry skin and wrinkles. I found an eye massage pen online. It gives heat also to the area. Can I use this instead of the warm compress?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The main purpose of the massager pen is to remove wrinkles and not to provide heat. So, it will not help with your Meibomian gland disease.

The rationale behind advising warm compresses is to force out pent up secretions inside the Meibomian gland. Giving this heat and later massaging in a way as to force secretions out would be the best way to get rid of your problems.

In case you are not fine with water, you can use a warm cup of coffee or any other beverage to warm your hand with or you could use palming where you rub your hands together until they become warm and give the heat to your eyelids.

Meibomian gland disease is usually a long-standing condition and only if treated properly, it can subside.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

The pen gives heat also. Why should it not work? What I need is to warm the lids.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Most pens in the market give very little to no heat, they are marketed as antiwrinkle aids.

If you feel that the amount of heat that your pen gives is almost the same as that of warm water (around 95 to 100 degree Fahrenheit), then I feel it should be a very good tool to help you as it does both giving heat and massaging.

|