Q. What could cause foreign body sensation in the eye?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I am a 43 year old male. I did not have any eye problem until I went to the eye doctor to get a regular eye checkup. I am always on the computer and watching television. Also, I work as a clerk and receiving goods in the computer. I have been doing this for the past 15 years with no eye problem. When I visited the eye doctor, she gave eye drops in my eyes. Then, after some time, she dilated my eyes and looked inside. She said that my vision is perfect and nothing was found. After my eyes started to wear off from the eye drops only my left eye clear up and the right eye was still blurry and one to two days later that right eye started paining like pressure. Then, I started to feel like something in my eyes. I had a feeling of a foreign body sensation or object. I went back to the eye doctor. She took a look inside both eyes and also checked the pressures on both eyes. She said everything looks fine. I went to a medical doctor and had a scan of the eyes and no problem found. My eyes feel so dry even in the mornings. My right eye is twitching and that feel worst like it is sticking to my eye when it twitches while blinking as if it is so dry. I am using Systane eye drops, but I do not think it is working for me. Please help.

#

• Your present problem of dryness and foreign body sensation is not related to dilatation done by your doctor.
  • For dryness, the doctor has prescribed you Systane eye drop, which is a very good lubricating eye drop.
  • The cause of foreign body sensation could be meibomitis (inflammation of meibomian glands). For that you can do hot fomentation and lid massage with index finger from up to down.
  • You can also apply antibiotic steroid combination eye ointment over the lid margins. Also, keep using Systane eye drop.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

What about the twitching in my eye? What do I do about that? Also, please explain the lid massage.

#

• Twitching that you are explaining could be myokymia (fine muscle contraction). The most common cause for myokymia is stress.
  • It usually resolves without treatment. So, do not worry.
  • Procedure of lid massage. Use index finger, press the upper lid and massage firmly from up to down in vertical direction. Start 1 cm from the lid margin so that secretions of glands are expelled.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|