Q. Will scratching a mole affect the biopsy report?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Six weeks ago, I noticed a mole on my back. There was no itching or redness. But, I scratched it and went to the Urgent Care Clinic. The doctor said it looked like an irritated nevus. Then, during a shower it came off completely and left a flat area. Within a few weeks, it reappeared. Now, it is smaller of about 2 mm and dark brown in color. I went to a dermatologist and explained everything. The doctor said it was a little irregular. He said since he had not seen it before, he could not say if the irregularity was how it healed after scarring or if it was worrisome of something else. So, he did a shave and sent for biopsy. Now, I wonder if I have screwed up the histology by irritating it. Is the fact that it came back very fast, from nothing to a little dark mole within 3 weeks or so worrisome? I have at least a week to wait and I am freaking out a little.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have read your query and concern.

• Scratching or healing would not affect the outcome of the biopsy.
  • In a biopsy for making a diagnosis of BCC (basal cell carcinoma) we need to see basaloid cells with a peripheral palisading arrangement and each cell nuclei for staining properties or abnormal mitosis, which would not get affect by altered clinical pictures.
  • Most probably in your case it seems to be benign and not a cancerous one.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

After fell off completely, it appeared to grow back in just a few weeks. Should I be concerned?

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• Three weeks time is very less to conclude it as cancerous. Because if at all any normal deeper (dermal) melanocytic mole, which partially removed accidentally or scratch, it will try to heal in three weeks interval and it is a normal skin turnover time.
  • For complete remodeling of any scar it takes around three months, after that only clinical picture will be clear.
  • So, do not worry. In your case it seems that you might had dermal melanocytic nevus, which partially removed due to scratching. That nevus again healed in a few weeks but remodeling not completed. And so, it looks a bit of irregular.

| 

Does radiation therapy increase the risk of melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, 21 years ago, my friend had radiation therapy for a very small breast cancer. In the recent years, breast areola becomes dry. Biopsies revealed no cancer. She was followed closely by an oncologist and a dermatologist with number of tests. Recently, a mole appeared in the areola region. Th...  Read Full »

The mole on my arm has two different brown shades. Give me your opinion please.

Query: Hi doctor,I have got a mole on my arm that measures 5 mm and is flat. I have always had this mole. I have not noticed it changing and it has not bled or itched. I am a bit concerned though that it has two different brown shades in it and would like your opinion on it, please.  Read Full »

Why do I have a mole with hair growing out of it?

Query: Hi doctor, About a month ago I vigorously scratched off a mole that was on my back. While lifting weight and lying on my back, it got irritated. I have had the mole for at least seven years. It has always been relatively big and light brown shade. However, when I picked it off it went away at firs...  Read Full »