Q. I have noticed a black spot on my penis with no other symptoms. What is it?

Dr. Snehal Laul

I have noticed a black spot on my penis. I have no other symptoms. I am feeling a bit anxious.

#

It is penile melanosis with dryness. It is a harmless benign condition that can occur due to multiple causes. It is only a cosmetic concern.

Do not be scared. Do not worry.

1. Apply Tacroz (Tacrolimus) 0.03% cream at daytime in small quantity for three weeks.
  2. Apply Cutisoft (Hydrocortisone) cream in small quantity at night for three weeks.
  3. Use a Cetaphil cleanser to wash the genital area.
  4. Use Aveeno (Dimethicone) Moisturizer twice daily for ten days.

Do you have a history of contact with irritants or disinfectants? Do you have an itching or burning sensation? Do you excessively scratch or rub the lesion? Since when it appeared? Is it spreading? Do you have any family history of melanoma or any history of atopy or allergies? Any rough handling?

Thank you for the response.

I have got no other symptoms and no family history of Melanoma. This is making me anxious. Do you think this could be dangerous?

#

No, it is benign, harmless penile Melanosis Do not be scared as there are no symptoms, nothing to worry about.The dark color is normal.You can use Kojic cream (kojic dipalmitate, potassium azeloyl diglycinate, milk protein) at night on the lesion for ten days.

If any change in size or shape or color, or margins noticed, revert.

Take care.

So, is it nothing to worry about? Because I am so stressed for the past few days. Maybe it is there for a long time, I did not notice it. My father told me I fell down from the cycle when I was a kid. So they had to operate in that region. Are you sure is it nothing to worry about?

#

Yes, there is nothing to worry about for sure.

Use mild soap like Dove or Nosoap cleanser or Episoft cleanser to clean genitals.

Maintain proper genital hygiene.

Avoid friction, occlusion, injury to glans.

Wear loose, comfortable thin cotton inners.

If itching or swelling occurs, you can apply Micogel (Miconazole Nitrate) twice daily for 15 days.

Thanks for the reassurance doctor, but you asked about a family history of Melanoma, which is not there in my family.

Do you think this is dangerous?

#

There is nothing to worry. Avoid stress. It is benign melanosis, and not melanoma.

|