Q. I have light colored vertical lines in my finger nails. Can you help me out?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2020

I have recently noticed some light colored vertical lines in my thumb and index finger nails. I have attached the photos for your reference. When I searched on the internet, I found very disturbing things including skin cancer. I have hypothyroidism and chronic depression. I am on Bupron 300 and Thyroxin 100. By looking at the pictures, can you help me out?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• You are having longitudinal melanonychia. It is also one of the signs of hypothyroidism.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Is alcohol bad for hypothyroidism?

Query: Hi doctor, I noticed that, after drinking alcohol, I feel exhausted and weak, after a week. I also have pain behind my eyes and a constant headache. I am curious if it is related to the thyroid or something else. Does alcohol affect patients with hypothyroidism?  Read Full »

Is hypothyroidism totally curable with medicines and how long do I need to take medicines?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 30 years old. My TSH level is 36.5. Is hypothyroidism totally curable with medicines and how long do I need to take medicines?  Read Full »

I have tinnitus and feel tired, cold and fatigue. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37-year-old man feeling cold all the time. I have tinnitus and feeling tired and fatigue. I tested my TSH and it was 1.3. My TSH free was 16. Is this normal or could I have hypothyroidism? What other causes could it be? I am otherwise healthy, exercise a lot and normal.  Read Full »