Q. Is alcohol bad for hypothyroidism?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2021

I noticed that, after drinking alcohol, I feel exhausted and weak, after a week. I also have pain behind my eyes and a constant headache. I am curious if it is related to the thyroid or something else. Does alcohol affect patients with hypothyroidism?

#

I just read your query.

• Yes, alcohol does affect people who have hypothyroidism. It affects the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis and causes suppression of the thyroid gland in a normal individual. But in those who already have a hypo-functioning thyroid gland, the effects can be more damaging.
  • It has been reported to cause direct suppression of thyroid function by cellular toxicity, and indirect suppression by blunting thyrotropin-releasing hormone response.
  • As for your symptoms, I suggest you get liver function test, renal function test, complete lipid profile, and complete blood count done. You must have your blood sugar and blood pressure checked whenever you experience these symptoms again.

Hope my advice is of some help to you. 

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|