Q. Is alcohol bad for hypothyroidism?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on May 10, 2017

I noticed that, after drinking alcohol, I feel exhausted and weak, after a week. I also have pain behind my eyes and a constant headache. I am curious if it is related to the thyroid or something else. Does alcohol affect patients with hypothyroidism?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query.

• Yes, alcohol does affect people who have hypothyroidism. It affects the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis and causes suppression of the thyroid gland in a normal individual. But in those who already have a hypo-functioning thyroid gland, the effects can be more damaging.
  • It has been reported to cause direct suppression of thyroid function by cellular toxicity, and indirect suppression by blunting thyrotropin-releasing hormone response.
  • As for your symptoms, I suggest you get liver function test, renal function test, complete lipid profile, and complete blood count done. You must have your blood sugar and blood pressure checked whenever you experience these symptoms again.

Hope my advice is of some help to you. 

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

How to get someone to stop taking alcohol forever?

Query: Hello doctor,My husband takes too much alcohol daily. I want him to stop alcohol forever. About one week before, we have done a health checkup. His SGPT level has increased by 108. What should I do now?  Read Full »

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

What causes low TSH and FT4?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now