Q. I have hypothyroidism. I want to reduce weight. Please advise me the diet and exercises.

Dear Doctor,

I have hypothyroidism and I am on medicines for it. Also hysterectomy was done 3 years back. I want to reduce my weight now.

Please advise appropriate diet and exercise for me.

Age - 52 years/ female.Weight - 75kgs, height - 5'4".

Dr. Meha Malhotra
MD DERMATOLOGY VENEREOLOGY AND LEPROSY
Dermatology, HIV/AIDS Specialist, Venereology

Your weight gain may be partially due to hypothyroidism.You may start with brisk walking for 20 minutes daily and gradually increase it to 45 minutes daily.

Please do not lift heavy weights at this age. This may cause more harm than benefit.

• Try oats, muesli, brown bread, egg whites for breakfast.
  • Lunch should be a complete meal with no ghee on rotis.
  • Dinner can be soup, veggies with roti, dalia(broken wheat), dal roti.
  • Do not be on empty stomach for more than 2 hours during day time or the time you are awake.
  • Take light snacks, fruits, juices, shakes in between your meals. Else your metabolism can slow down.

Please tell me how much thyroxine are you taking and your TSH level and medicine details so that I can see whether thyroid is not the cause of your problem.

Please note:

• Not eating for long periods or being on empty stomach could slow down metabolism and potentially increase weight.
  • Already hypothyroidism itself slows down metabolism. So do not fast but eat little meals.

Definitely you will lose weight if you follow this.

Revert back to an endocrinologist online for further help --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Query: Hello doctor, I am 171 cm tall, 38 years old, and 80 kg weight. Since the last one to five months, I have left wheat 80 % from my diet and following on average 1000 to 1500 calorie diet everyday. Initially, I lost weight from 80 to 78 kg in two weeks, but now I am stuck on 79 kg weight. I do not k...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Many persons on the 1200 calorie diet face a similar issue. Here are the tips to lose weight : You should eat small healthy snacks between main meals. Do more cardio exercise. Avoid eating carbohydrates after 7 PM. Good sleeping hygiene ...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your symptoms are not related to thyroid issue. You could be having a viral infection. So, I suggest you to take tablet Zerodol P (combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) three times a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the me...  Read Full »

Smart Ways to Lose Weight

Article Overview: Following a strict diet and exercise routine can be a difficult task for many. This article will explain how you can smartly lose weight without sacrificing your favorite food or without vigorous exercises.  Read Article »
Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Fitness Expert

Many people are tired of sacrificing their favorite food and unable to find extra time for a workout. We all know how difficult it is to reduce weight by controlling food habits and exercises. In this article, I will be giving you few tips to lose approximately 2 lbs of weight weekly just by perform ...  Read Article »

Query: Hello doctor, My mother aged 75 years has TSH 8.12. She has adrenalism and takes Hisone 12 mg daily. Should she be administered medicine for hypothyroidism?  Read Full »
Dr. Mit Dharsandiya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are higher chances of hypothyroidism in a patient who has hypoadrenalism (Addison's disease). These both conditions can be the manifestation of the same underlying process (autoimmune). If your mother is symptomatic (weakness, dry skin, hair loss, constipation,...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor,My husband is suffering from azoospermia. I do not know what to do. I do not know any good infertility center and specialized doctor. I want a biological child only. Please suggest what to do. How can I come to know whether it is obstructive or non-obstructive? Please reply. He has hard pi...  Read Full »
Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is there any report of your husband? Smoking, cocaine and other recreational drugs and few other medicines like anti-cancerous can affect male fertility. It is better to quit all recreational drugs. If he has been treated for any disease better to have full assessment a...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 45-year-old male. I am 6 feet tall and I weigh 91 kg. I had taken excess BCAA supplement powder to enhance my gym performance and then stopped going to the gym for two Months but continued taking the BCAA powder. I feel bloated all the time after food intake and have high blood ...  Read Full »
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have diabetes and you must definitely take treatment for it. I suggest that you start with the tablet Metformin 500 mg thrice a day and then repeat your HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin...  Read Full »

Can Ovral G be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?
Cold and Flu - Causes | Symptoms | Diagnosis | Treatments
I-Pill - When to Take and Its Side Effects

Also Read Answers From

Ask an Endocrinologist »