Does a dark vertical streak on the nail indicate cancer?

Q. My daughter has a vertical dark streak along her finger nail. What do you suggest?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 12, 2023

My daughter has a vertical dark streak along her nail on the middle finger only. It has been there for three months now. There is no known trauma. Could I ask what you suggest we should do? It seems to be darker than before. We went to a dermatologist, and they told us not to worry because it appears to be only the nail that is affected and not the skin. However, we are very worried it could be cancer.

#

At present, she is suffering from longitudinal melanonychia. It is due to the overactivity of the melanocytes, leading to more melanin synthesis. At present, there is no sign of malignancy. Nevertheless, a biopsy is required to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope it helps.

|