Melanin

Some of my facial hairs are turning golden brown. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old. Some of my facial hair change into light brown color from black. It looks golden color in sunshine and I have also one or two white hairs in my head. When I was 16, all my hair was dark black. What should I do now to get their natural hair color back?  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. See the color of hairs and skin is determined by a pigment called melanin. The variation of this pigment varies from person to person due to their genetics or due to some environmental reasons. One to two white hairs are not a problem but you ...  Read Full »

I have noticed mole like spots in my eye with light colored with yellowish red patch. Is it a tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, I have noticed mole like spots in my eye and light colored yellow red patch. I do not have any problem in vision or itchiness. I noticed it two months back but I do not know when did it develop. I have attached the photograph of the eye. Is it a tumor?  Read Full »

Dr. Anand

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the picture you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is totally normal. What you are mentioning as a mole is like spots. Those are normal melanin pigments deposited in the conjunctiva. They are not a tumor. You should be concerne...  Read Full »

After PPP removal, some dark lines appeared on my penis. What are they?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. Four months ago, I had the PPP removal along with CO2. Now, for the last 30 days, I have been noticing some dark lines on my penis head. Is that something to worry?  Read Full »

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please attach a picture to ascertain if it is something to worry. Thank you. Revert back with a photo to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full »

Is there any solution to make my face match my body color?

Query: Hello doctor,My face is so dark when compared to my body. I am a sports person so from my childhood I am exposed to sunlight a lot. Is there any solution to come back to my body color?  Read Full »

Dr. Sreelakshmi S

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You should use sunscreens with SPF 50 or more daily. Try to avoid sun exposure as possible. The creams used to increase skin color will do more harm than good. Melanin is the pigment which causes darkening. Its production increases on exposure...  Read Full »

Why has the color of my skin changed?

Query: Hello doctor, After working out at a gym for three months, the color of my skin has changed. It is darker now as compared to earlier. I want to know the reason behind this and the solution of this problem too.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern very well, but let me make it very clear to you that working out in the gym will not have any sort of effect on skin color. Going to the gym is a step closer to a healthy life. Skin color is determined by melanin, a color pigment which...  Read Full »

My daughter has a vertical dark streak along her finger nail. What do you suggest?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter has a vertical dark streak along her nail on the middle finger only. It has been there for three months now. There is no known trauma.Could I ask what you suggest we should do? It seems to be darker than before. We went to a dermatologist and they told us not to worry becaus...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At present, she is suffering from longitudinal melanonychia. It is due to the overactivity of the melanocytes, leading to more melanin synthesis. At present, there is no sign of malignancy. Nevertheless, a biopsy is required to confirm the diagnosis. Hope it helps. Re...  Read Full »

I am just fed up with my dark complexion. Please prescribe me some skin whitening product.

Query: Hello Doctor, I am just fed up with my dark complexion. Please prescribe me some skin whitening product.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Physician, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine Physician, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Natural complexion is the best. Cosmetics do more harm than good. You can avoid them. Melanin pigment in the skin protects against cancers. Presence of more melanin in the skin gives the dark complexion. You can use sunscreen lotions which help in preventing tan d...  Read Full »