Q. Do I require contraception even after menopause?

Dr. Meeta Airen

I am a 61 year old female. My last period was more than 10 years ago. I was confirmed menopausal by a blood test taken back then. Do I need to take any contraception in the rare case of my having an intercourse? I have heard of older women, well past the menopausal age, getting pregnant. Is there any danger in taking the morning after pill? I have type 2 diabetes. I am on 1000 mg of Metformin, as well as on low medication for blood pressure and cholesterol.

Do you have a question on Menopause or Emergency Pill?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Meeta Airen

MBBS ., DNB (OBS & GYN
Obstetrics And Gynaecology

• There is nil chance of pregnancy. Do not worry. 
  • Please do not take any hormonal pills as they may harm you.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks for replying. In what way might it harm me?

Dr. Meeta Airen

MBBS ., DNB (OBS & GYN
Obstetrics And Gynaecology

After menopause, the uterine lining becomes atrophic, and if you take these tablets, it may cause vaginal bleeding even after menopause.

The bleeding can be really heavy.

What causes continuous vaginal bleeding?
Query: Hello doctor, I am writing on behalf of my wife. She is facing continuous bleeding from vagina since seven days after post pregnancy bleeding. Here is the complete scenario. We blessed with a baby 38 days ago and it was a C-section delivery. 16 days back the bleeding had stopped completely. Everyth...  Read Full »
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wife is having bleeding per vagina following one month of Cesarean section. This is termed postpartum hemorrhage and often creates an emergency. This could be caused by an infection of C-section wound commonly. But, as per your report (attachment removed to pro...  Read Full »

Does taking contraceptive pills before and after sex avoid pregnancy?
Query: Hi doctor, How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?  Read Full »
Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Theoretically abstinence is the only way to ensure that one does not get pregnant. However, practically speaking there are many ways to avoid pregnancy. It ranges from using condoms to contraceptive pills to intrauterine devices to achieve longer contraception. ...  Read Full »

Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?
Query: Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avo...  Read Full »
Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Oral contraceptive pills are quite safe and do not affect periods in bad way. Though does not protect 100% but chance of pregnancy is almost nil. If you have sex once a month then you can take emergency pill, but it is known to be less effective. It should not be used mor...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now