Q. Do I require contraception even after menopause?

Dr. Meeta Airen

I am a 61 year old female. My last period was more than 10 years ago. I was confirmed menopausal by a blood test taken back then. Do I need to take any contraception in the rare case of my having an intercourse? I have heard of older women, well past the menopausal age, getting pregnant. Is there any danger in taking the morning after pill? I have type 2 diabetes. I am on 1000 mg of Metformin, as well as on low medication for blood pressure and cholesterol.

#

• There is nil chance of pregnancy. Do not worry. 
  • Please do not take any hormonal pills as they may harm you.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks for replying. In what way might it harm me?

#

After menopause, the uterine lining becomes atrophic, and if you take these tablets, it may cause vaginal bleeding even after menopause.

The bleeding can be really heavy.

|