Q. Do I require contraception even after menopause?

Dr. Meeta Airen

I am a 61 year old female. My last period was more than 10 years ago. I was confirmed menopausal by a blood test taken back then. Do I need to take any contraception in the rare case of my having an intercourse? I have heard of older women, well past the menopausal age, getting pregnant. Is there any danger in taking the morning after pill? I have type 2 diabetes. I am on 1000 mg of Metformin, as well as on low medication for blood pressure and cholesterol.

Dr. Meeta Airen

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• There is nil chance of pregnancy. Do not worry. 
  • Please do not take any hormonal pills as they may harm you.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thanks for replying. In what way might it harm me?

Dr. Meeta Airen

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

After menopause, the uterine lining becomes atrophic, and if you take these tablets, it may cause vaginal bleeding even after menopause.

The bleeding can be really heavy.

| 

Why do I have continous vaginal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing on behalf of my wife. She is facing continuous bleeding from vagina since seven days after post pregnancy bleeding. Here is the complete scenario. We blessed with a baby 38 days ago and it was a C-section delivery. 16 days back the bleeding had stopped completely. Everyth...  Read Full »

Can taking contraceptive pills before sex be effective in preventing pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?  Read Full »

Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Query: Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avo...  Read Full »