Q. How can we manage the changes that happen during menopause?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on Oct 22, 2018

How can we manage the symptom changes that happen during menopause? Please say about the natural remedies used to handle them. Please explain about the lifestyle changes, foods, and exercise that needs to be changed during menopause. How does it work for menopausal women having hot flashes, dryness and mood changes? Please suggest.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

The following remedies can be tried. It has been effective in varying proportions. When having mood swings, irritability, and depression, try to do exercise daily like jogging, running or walking. It is very effective. Yoga and meditation or deep breathing exercise can also help to control these symptoms. Avoid drinking coffee and tea. Avoid taking sugary foods and fatty foods. Occasional body massage can also be helpful.

When having hot flushes, try to drink plenty of water preferably cool water. Avoid taking hot beverages and stimulants like tea and coffee. Wear loose clothes. Avoid having a warm bath. Herbs such as soy and black cohosh have been used to control hot flushes. Phytoestrogen containing food can also be used to control hot flushes. Try to read books before bedtime when having insomnia. Listen to calming music before going to bed. Do yoga or meditation daily.

How can I reduce my depression?

Query: Hi doctor, When I wake up from my sleep, I feel empty. I am not willing to do my work. I neglect my study. I always stay alone in my room. I am feeling lonely. I got a breakup. After having a breakup, my depression got worse. I am crying every day for around seven months. I am unable to focus anymo...  Read Full »

Meditation: Importance, Benefits and How to Begin

Article Overview: This article weighs the importance of meditation (Dhyan) in normal bodily function and reveals the positive impact it has on our day-to-day life. Read Article

What Is Meditation? Meditation is a state of the mind where you just have to learn to be relaxed and sit still. Often, people think meditation is about concentrating on a particular object or thought. But it is not so. Meditation is an activity where you try to slow down the frequency of thoughts a...  Read Article

Why is my mother having periods after menopause?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother had a fibroid in the uterus and now she had her periods after menopause.  Read Full »