Q. When I get my period after months, I experience menorrhagia. Please help me.

Dr. Monika Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

I would like to ask about my condition. I am 21 years old. When was studying college before two years, I did not have periods once. When I was studying in school, my period was irregular. I will have my period once in two months. Then during my studies in college, my period came once in two months. Then at the end of the year, it came after three months. Whenever I get my periods after months, I would experience menorrhagia. Then quarantine came. I got my period before a month. My period was not heavy. Sometimes I will have normal flow or less. I would just use a panty liner instead of a napkin. Please help me.

#

You are having irregular periods. You have heavy bleeding after 5 to 6 months. This happens due to hormonal imbalance. The absence of periods for 5 to 6 months causes unopposed uterine wall growth. It keeps on getting thick and you will have heavy periods when it breaks down. You need to give a detailed history. Please mention your sexual history. Please mention whether you have any discharge, any weight gain, any acne eruptions, any excessive hair growth over the face or chest. You seem to have polycystic ovarian disease owing to irregularity in periods. It usually occurs due to hormonal imbalance and morphological changes in ovaries. You need to do some tests to rule out the cause and then you need to treat it accordingly. You need to note one thing that you should not wait for more than three months to get your periods on your own. You can take medications for having withdrawal bleeding. Take medications after having a discussion with your doctor.

|