Q. Could this bleeding be a sign of miscarriage or is it my normal period?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Dec 24, 2021

My periods were late by six days. I had taken five pregnancy tests, and all were negative. I have a dull ache in my lower back and cramps on my right side. Now, I am bleeding bright red, and the flow is mild. Could this be a miscarriage, or is it my normal period? I had a few pregnancy symptoms before this, but they are gone now. I still have sore breasts. My period is never late. Currently, I am taking Suboxone.

#

Since the five tests were negative and you have started bleeding, you are not pregnant. Because urine pregnancy tests can be positive for a variable period, they can be positive from the 10th day to two months, even after an abortion. So, you are not pregnant. Symptoms may be due to hormonal changes. As the periods were delayed, you had the excitement of getting pregnant, and the symptoms may be due to this also. It was just a delayed menses. There are many reasons for delayed menses. Do not take much stress. Cramps can typically happen during menses. Right side pain can be expected, or there may be a cyst in the right side ovary, due to which you have delayed menses. So, get one sonography. Sonography should be done in the first five days of menses if you do not want confusion. Because in the middle of the cycle, three cm-sized cysts are normal.

Revert with the sonography report.

|