Q. Is it normal to have irregularities in periods in the early stages of puberty?

Dr. Raveendran S. R
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am young and I am really paranoid. I think that there is something wrong with me. I had my period with light spotting. It was brown. After orgasm, I started to have bleeding with fresh-looking blood. Before that, I had periods for a week. I thought that it has got stopped after seeing the light spot. After that, I started to have continued bleeding on the second day of getting the light spot. I got really scared and worried about cancer. I read that cancer is uncommon for people of young age. Currently, I am not taking medicines for anything.

#

I understand your concern. There is no need to worry about cancer. In the early stages of puberty, you will have hormonal changes and imbalances. Because of it, you can have irregular flow. The other reasons are following a sedentary lifestyle and low hemoglobin. I advise you try to do regular exercise, yoga and walking. Do TFT (thyroid function test) and CBC (complete blood count) to rule out hormonal changes and low hemoglobin. Have a review along with the reports.

|