Q. Is it advisable to remove Histrelin implant after four years in precocious puberty?

Published on Nov 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

I am a female. I was diagnosed seven years ago for central precocious puberty and was treated with three annual implants of Histrelin. The third implant still has not been removed after about four years. I have looked at procedure guidelines online that say that the implant must be removed after a year is up. Does it have to be removed? What will happen if it is not removed? Also, I am showing no signs of puberty except pubic hair and height. Is it possible that the Histrelin is holding my growth?

#

Yes, Histrelin implant should have been removed after one year. Please speak about this to your doctor. Histrelin implant is a synthetic analogue of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist. It works by decreasing the production of certain hormones, which reduces estrogen and testosterone levels in the body initially.

Laboratory tests, including luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), estradiol, testosterone levels, or height and bone age may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side-effects. I would suggest you to carry out all the hormonal profile that is FSH, LH, testosterone levels, thyroid levels, estradiol levels to see that they are in normal range. Periods are related to circulating estrogen levels.

| 

Can inguinal hernias lower testosterone levels and decrease ejaculate volume?

Query: Hello doctor, While having sex with my wife six months ago, I had a severe pain in my stomach, which seemed to have originated from my testicles. The pain has never happened again. I live a pretty much normal day to day life. Since then, I have noticed a decrease in semen volume considerably. Now, ...  Read Full »

What will be the future effect of early puberty?

Query: Hello doctor, This is regarding my younger daughter's health and I would like to get a second opinion before I take any decision. My younger daughter was 1 year 6 months old when she came to this new place. Last year, when she was 5 years old we had to do a physical examination for getting admiss...  Read Full »

My 6.3 year old daughter has breast buds. Will Lupron injections help her?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter was 6.3 years old when I noticed that she has breast buds. After consulting the pediatric endocrinologist, we went for bone age and pelvic ultrasound tests. Both the tests were age appropriate. She is 4.03 feet tall, and I am 5.6 feet, and my husband is 5.10 feet tall. As ...  Read Full »