Q. Why do I have a buzzing sensation in my left thigh when I move?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

A week ago, I started feeling a buzzing (like a mobile phone) periodically in my left thigh every two minutes. It has faded a week later now, and I never get the sensation when I am sitting and standing. But I can still faintly feel the vibrating sensation when I place weight on it, like when I take a step. It is not painful, I do not feel numb, and I do not feel any weakness. It is not every time I take a step, just periodically. I was working outside with a shovel last weekend, so not sure if it is a nerve issue? Just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about or not.

Please help me, doctor.

Thank you

#

I can understand your concern.

According to your statement, you have been suffering from a feeling of vibrating sensation periodically in your left thigh while taking a step. But, according to the clinical features you are suffering from, you may suffer from meralgia paresthetica. This may occur when the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve becomes trapped or pinched. This condition may be triggered by obesity, wearing tight-fitting clothing or heavy tool belt for work, lack of sleep, dehydration, walking, running or standing for a long period, diabetes mellitus, trauma, history of hip or back surgery, neurological disorders like spinal cord disorder, multiple sclerosis, etc. But, usually, meralgia paresthetica is not serious and goes away on its own in a few months without any medical treatment.

Wearing loose-fitting clothing, weight reduction, deep tissue massaging, exercises, proper sleep, plenty of fluids intake, controlling blood sugar, etc., may help get rid of this condition. However, if your symptoms persist for more than two to three months, you should consult your doctor for medical help.

|