Q. What medicines can be taken for vomiting after having had IV Methylprednisolone?

Dr. Noushif. M

My wife is a neuro patient and a week ago she was given five days treatment of Methylprednisolone intravenous. After her discharge, she has been vomiting every now and then. The vomiting usually occurs whenever she tries to move about and travel in cars to see her neurologist. Although the frequency has slowed, it has not stopped. After her steroids treatment, the neurologist had suggested for Pan-D once every morning for three days. The neurologist has asked me to seek the help of a gastroenterologist because my wife needs to be administered with Rituximab injection at the earliest. Please suggest some medication as well as the diet she should follow. Thank you.

#

• Considering the nature of the disease, steroids and the Rituximab, you have to take care of few things:
  1. Chances of gastritis and gastric ulcers. Never keep the stomach empty. Have short frequent feeds. Abstain from spicy, fried foods. Abstain from carbonated drinks.
  2. Regarding medicines, I suggest you take tablets like Pantocid D (Domperidone and Pantoprazole) twice daily 30 minutes before food. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.
  3. Chances of high blood sugar. Needs monitoring and diet adjusted accordingly.
  4. Chances of infection. Make sure your food and water are hygienic. Avoid raw foods.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Do you recommend any other medications?

#

• Kindly check whether she is comfortable with Pantop-D (Domperidone and Pantoprazole). Make sure you get a good standard brand of medicine.
  • I suggest you can add tablet Emeset (Ondansetron) 4 mg thrice daily before food also. It will help in controlling vomiting. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the above medicines.
  • Feed always in a sitting position. Make sure she is upright at least for an hour after feeds. Ambulate her well. Have an early dinner too.

Do feel free to review as and when needed. Good luck.

|