Q. Can Metrogyl cause tingling sensation in hands and feet?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Feb 26, 2018

I took the antibiotic Metrogyl for a bacterial vaginosis infection. It was a 7-day course which I completed four days back. Since then, I have had a tingling sensation in my hands and feet and a sort of achy numbness in my arms and legs. I had a blood test a week ago for something else and it all came back negative for liver, kidneys, HIV, thyroid etc. I am very concerned about this symptom and wondered if it could be linked to the antibiotic?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to Metronidazole adverse effect. You should know that this drug can cause neuropathy as a possible adverse effect. For this reason, I recommend consulting with your attending doctor and performing a nerve conduction study (electroneurography) to investigate for this possible disorder.

I would also recommend performing inflammation tests (PCR, sedimentation rate) and blood electrolytes in order to investigate for possible electrolyte imbalance. You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?

Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full »

Apart from Levodopa, what other treatment options are there for Parkinsons's?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel extreme fatigue in the morning. I have tremor and right leg tingling. I am experiencing brain fog, Parkinson like symptoms but I did not feel any improvement with Levodopa. My manganese levels are high. Please help.  Read Full »

Will taking Metronidazole and Tergynan affect baby during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am six weeks pregnant. Before knowing that I was pregnant, I was treated for recurrent bacterial vaginosis with Metronidazole orally and Tergynan vaginally for a week approximately on weeks 4 to 5 of pregnancy. How it can harm my baby? Cause I heard that it is contraindicated in fir...  Read Full »