Q. Can Metrogyl cause tingling sensation in hands and feet?

Dr. Aida Quka

I took the antibiotic Metrogyl for a bacterial vaginosis infection. It was a 7-day course which I completed four days back. Since then, I have had a tingling sensation in my hands and feet and a sort of achy numbness in my arms and legs. I had a blood test a week ago for something else and it all came back negative for liver, kidneys, HIV, thyroid etc. I am very concerned about this symptom and wondered if it could be linked to the antibiotic?

#

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to Metronidazole adverse effect. You should know that this drug can cause neuropathy as a possible adverse effect. For this reason, I recommend consulting with your attending doctor and performing a nerve conduction study (electroneurography) to investigate for this possible disorder.

I would also recommend performing inflammation tests (PCR, sedimentation rate) and blood electrolytes in order to investigate for possible electrolyte imbalance. You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|