Q. My HIV DNA PCR and tridot test are negative. Do I need further tests?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

My last exposure was protected but I am not sure about whether the vaginal fluid touched or not since I was drunk that time. After that, I went to an HIV specialist and he suggested me HIV DNA PCR test at 66 days period. The result is HIV 1 not detected.

Then at 83 days, tridot rapid test is negative. 88-day tridot rapid test negative. 93-day tridot non-reactive. 99-day tridot (immuno filtration) antibodies 1 and 2 nonreactive. Then I took HbsAg, HCV, VRD total all are non-reactive.

Is it enough for HIV testing? Is DNA PCR at 66 days (in window ) period useful? Is tridot test useful or not?

In the window period time, I used fever tablets, antibiotics, and Levocetirizine many days. Will it affect my window period? Please give me brief information. I have a family and a child. Can I have sex with my wife without protection? Next test needed or not?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Welcome​ to icliniq.com.

It is great that you have been found negative for HIV and other STIs (sexually transmitted infection). All the tests which you had taken for HIV were highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. It is unlikely for antibiotics and other medications which you had taken for fever could affect the result.

Window period is the time taken for antibodies to develop after infection and then get detected by a particular test. The length of the window period varies between individuals.

There are recommendations and I also suggest my patients to repeat the test at six months of last exposure. Testing at three and six months of possible exposure can detect almost all HIV infections.

You can take precautions (consistently and correctively using a condom) with your wife until the time you are undergoing tests.

| 

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

What would happen if sweat or water dropped into the blood used for HIV testing?

Query: Hi doctor, I took OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV 1/2 antibody test today at a nearby clinic after waiting the window period for exposure of more than 90 days. I was told that the result was negative. My concern may be very paranoid and unnecessary; however, I am more curious than anything. I wanted to ...  Read Full »

How reliable is the tri-dot test?

Query: Hi doctor, I was suffering from extreme fatigue last month, so I got a Widal test, which was positive. I have had typhoid many times earlier, and two years back I got hepatitis. Last month I got LFT and CBC tests, and I am attaching the reports. LFT was normal, while CBC shows lymphopenia and macro...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now