Q. Could diet affect microalbumin level?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2021

I am a 31 year old male. My microalbumin is 10.3, urine creatinine 313, eGFR 113, microalbumin-creatinine ratio is 3.4 and HbA1c is 6.8. Should microalbumin be 0? Most sites say 20 and below is normal, but 10 is pretty high to me. I had levels done, which showed a microalbumin of less than 3. I worked for 6 hours before the test. I was moving patients around in an operating room, moving beds, etc. Then, I had a big lunch with bacon, sausage and eggs and had my testing done 30 minutes later. I am so worried for this.

#

We are here to help you.To help you better, I need to understand your case a bit more in detail. First of all, you have not mentioned the unit of your urine creatinine.

• I would need to know whether you are suffering from any kidney problems as such for the tests performed.
  • If no, then your microalbumin levels would be considered within normal range as the levels can vary with every sample and every day.
  • Yes, a high protein diet and heavy exercise that you had can affect the test. A normal movement like you had does not affect the test.

For further information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

I am worried as 10 is halfway to the cutoff level. Two years ago, my level was 2. My creatinine has jumped to 163. I have gained 20 lbs, a big part of that is muscle. I nave no history of kidney problems. Could my diet an hour before the test have affected the microalbumin level?

#

• If you have gained weight and have increased protein in the diet, then your reports ought to be like this only.
  • Your microalbumin is within the normal range, but it is being increased five times the baseline.
  • I would highly recommend you to control your weight and follow a moderate to low protein diet. Moreover, I would like to know your blood pressure levels previously and currently.
  • Also, are you keeping an eye on your thyroid and lipids?

|