Q. Can microdermabrasion and glycolic acid peel make my skin look darker?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Feb 19, 2018

I am very much worried about my skin color. I have taken two sittings of microdermabrasion and two sittings of glycolic acid peel. But, I am not able to see any change and that too my skin looks darker. Would it be a chemical peel side effect? Now I am using branded face wash and sunscreen in the morning and skin whitening cream during bedtime.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Microdermabrasion and chemical peel are the procedures to improve skin texture. They exfoliate the damaged superficial layer of skin, there by lightening the hyperpigmentation on the skin.

This removes the dead cells in the skin, facilitating the new layer of cells to grow. After the procedure, the key is to use sunscreen round the clock, every four hours. This is because skin needs to be protected from UV rays when it is recovering. UV rays are not only from sun but also from tube lights, TV screen and computer monitor.

Once applied, sunscreen protects skin for four hours, hence should be applied every four hours for optimal protection.

Now talking about expectations from these cosmetic procedures. They do help to lighten the skin a bit, but, the main purpose of these procedures is to improve the texture, remove the dark pigmentation. This will take minimum four to five sittings to see improvement in skin texture provided proper after care measures are followed like protection from UV rays.

I personally explain my patients that it is not skin whitening treatment, because the colour of an individual is genetically programmed. I do not want you to get disheartened. I can totally sense your concern dear, but this is the fact. You will get back your original colour after the procedure, which may be one or two shades lighter than your pre-procedure skin colour.

The procedure per say can't make your skin darker, if you have used sunscreen properly as advised by your Dermatologist. Eat healthy, exercise regularly and keep your body hydrated to have a healthy skin.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have lot of acne scars on my face that make me look ugly. Please suggest me treatment for the same.

Query: Hello Doctor,    I am 19 years old. I have lot of acne scars on my face and it looks ugly. Doctor advised me to use contractubex but it is of no use. Please suggest some other treatment.  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Contractubex gel is topically applied to reduce scars. It is very effective on various types of scars. Other modes of treating scars include: Fractional laser treatment - a non-invasive technique to remove scars. It is the best option but is slightly expensive. ...  Read Full

I have severe acne problem. It is increasing by the day. can you suggest some medicines?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30-year-old male. I am facing severe acne problem. I am currently using Doxy-1 L-DR Forte Capsule two times a day since 20 days and Persol-plus gel at night and Ahaglow-S face wash. Also, Aziderm cream 20 % and Cetaphil as a moisturizer. But it is painful and with pus. Sometimes, ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. All the medications you are on are right. I agree with your treating doctor. Peeling is a procedure where fruit-concentrated extracts are used, such as Glycolic acid and many other (Salicylic acid) which help reduce the activity of the sebaceous glands and in turn...  Read Full

Can I use Kojivit cream to improve my complexion?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a wheatish complexion. Can you please suggest if I can use Kojivit cream for skin lightening?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can use Kojivit gel (Kojic acid) safely daily. But, it only removes extra tan from your skin. You can try using a Glycolic acid based face wash for better results of skin lightening. Make sure that you apply sunscreen every 5-6 hours. You can also g...  Read Full