Q. Is it required to remove my baby tooth before removing my braces?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

I am a 14-year-old female. I got braces two years back. My orthodontist told me I did not have to remove my bottom baby teeth the day I got them. But my orthodontist is now telling me that I cannot remove the braces if I do not get that baby tooth removed. My teeth are already straight and ready to go. It is just the tooth that is stopping me. I want to get these braces off before high school. Is it required to remove this tooth? Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

In a general scenario, it is never advised to keep baby teeth. It could be two things by baby teeth: milk tooth, which is shed off as we grow and is replaced by permanent teeth. Another could be an extra tooth (supernumerary tooth) which is an extra tooth apart from the permanent teeth. However, in both cases, they are permanently removed. Depending on which tooth it is, advice can be given. It might be firm now if it is a milk tooth but can always become loose and fall. If this happens, there will be space created at the place which would not fill on its own, and it could cause loss of alignment, which you have achieved with orthodontics treatment. If it is a supernumerary tooth, it is never beneficial to keep such a tooth and will cause harm to neighbor teeth and more damage in the longer run. If you could share some more details on your case, advice can be provided. Please share Intraoral photos of the baby's tooth and jaw. Please share an OPG (orthopantomogram) X-ray, which would have been done at some point of treatment (during start or mid-treatment). These records will help judge the type of tooth and appreciate the treatment plan. Do reach out for further information and clarifications.

|