Q. I got my abortion done by using Cytotec and now there is delay in my period. Is it due to its side effect?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 06, 2019

I got pregnant in march this year and got it aborted through medicines (Cytotec). I took two doses as the first dose failed to work. Till this month, my monthly period cycle was absolutely fine. I was supposed to have periods on the 21st of june. Still I have not got my periods. I did a my pregnancy test onthe 26th or 27th of june and it was negative. I took an ECP on 28th to get my periods. I have realized that after this, I am not going to affect my cycle anymore and no more unprotected intercourse. I used to have periods always on time. Can you please guide me on health repercussions because of abortion pills and ECP? Have I done something terrible to my health and what to do if I am pregnant again? Can I get it aborted through medicines again? I will never affect my cycle hereafter.

#

Health issues because of abortion pills are that you may continue to bleed for 16 days or so, and also there may be incomplete abortion or some times no effect at all (failure) as you have already experienced. So it is not possible to continue pregnancy also after taking the pills (abortion or ECP) as there will be congenital malformations in the baby. Yes, of course, the cycle date will change every time. ECP is meant for emergencies only and not to be taken after every unprotected sex.

If you are pregnant again, I will advise you to get a scan done and rule out any chances of ectopic pregnancy before taking abortion pills at any time. You can take it again if required, but then consult and follow up with the doctor is a must.

After you are clear with all issues, I will advise you to take contraceptive pills regularly to avoid all this, and this will regularize your cycles also and nothing to worry.

|