Q. What is the right method to take abortion pill?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 27 year old female. I had my last period 60 days before. I am pregnant and I opted to abort at home. Four days back I have taken one tablet of Mifepristone at 10 AM and then two tablets of Misoprostol 10 AM the next day. I have been bleeding lightly after taking Misoprostol tablets. There are still two tablets of Misoprostol left. Could you please advice when and how to take these two tablets of Misoprostol. I have attached my transvaginal scan reports taken yesterday for your reference. This is my second abortion. I did home abortion eight years ago using a set of two pills, but I did not remember the names. Now, I feel slightly dizzy with headache. Please guide me.

#

The methodology you have adopted for abortion is incorrect. You should have asked this question before taking the medicines.

You have already crossed the time for the other two tablets. Ideally, two Misoprostol should have been taken orally and two inserted in vagina.

So, I would suggest you to insert the two tablets as soon as possible. You will bleed a little more.

As far as the reports are concerned, your pregnancy of 9 weeks is absolutely intact in the ultrasound. So, it does not seem that the pregnancy has been terminated.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Is there any measure to be taken care of while inserting pill in vagina? For example, position, depth, etc.

#

• The chance of absorption would increase if you wet the tablet with a drop of water.
  • Insert the tablets as deep as possible without any discomfort.

For further clarification consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|