Q. What is the right method to take abortion pill?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
Published on Apr 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 27 year old female. I had my last period 60 days before. I am pregnant and I opted to abort at home. Four days back I have taken one tablet of Mifepristone at 10 AM and then two tablets of Misoprostol 10 AM the next day. I have been bleeding lightly after taking Misoprostol tablets. There are still two tablets of Misoprostol left. Could you please advice when and how to take these two tablets of Misoprostol. I have attached my transvaginal scan reports taken yesterday for your reference. This is my second abortion. I did home abortion eight years ago using a set of two pills, but I did not remember the names. Now, I feel slightly dizzy with headache. Please guide me.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The methodology you have adopted for abortion is incorrect. You should have asked this question before taking the medicines.

You have already crossed the time for the other two tablets. Ideally, two Misoprostol should have been taken orally and two inserted in vagina.

So, I would suggest you to insert the two tablets as soon as possible. You will bleed a little more.

As far as the reports are concerned, your pregnancy of 9 weeks is absolutely intact in the ultrasound. So, it does not seem that the pregnancy has been terminated.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Is there any measure to be taken care of while inserting pill in vagina? For example, position, depth, etc.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The chance of absorption would increase if you wet the tablet with a drop of water.
  • Insert the tablets as deep as possible without any discomfort.

For further clarification consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I want to know if pills Mifepristone, Misoprostol are genuine and reliable and how to use it?

Query: HelIo, I want to know if my pills unwanted-kit from mankind (1 Mifepristone, 4 Misoprostol) genuine and reliable¬†and how to use it?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shilpi Rajnish Gupta
Homeopathic Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can take tablets of misoprostol by mouth, usually within 48 hours of mifepristone. Depending on the dose, this could be as soon as 6 hours after the mifepristone. Mifepristone causes the placenta to separate from the endometrium. It also softens the cervix a...  Read Full

Will Mifepristone and Misoprostol be effective if taken after 49 days of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiancee is 59 days pregnant. So we consulted a doctor for an abortion and she prescribed Mifepristone and Misoprostol for the abortion. But the doctor had told this method should be used before 49 days. So if these tablets are taken on the 59th day, how much effective it would be?  Read Full >>

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Medical termination is legal until 20 weeks of pregnancy in some countries. But safety profile says, until seven weeks these pills do not cause heavy bleeding and pain, so can be prescribed by a single doctor. For more than seven weeks, often bleeding and pain is more leadi...  Read Full

Is it fine to use Mifepristone for abortion after C-section?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife missed her periods and we doubt she is pregnant. Our first kid is just 1 year old now and it was a Cesarean. We are not in a position to have a second child now. Her LMP was 22nd of last month. I read that Mifepristone can induce abortion. Is it a safe drug? Do we have to consult ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, please confirm the pregnancy with a serum beta-hCG test (human chorionic gonadotropin) as urine pregnancy test is not reliable till eight days post missed periods. If the hCG levels are more than 5 ng/dL then she is pregnant. In that case as she has been a p...  Read Full