Q. Am I pregnant or hormonal imbalance is the cause of missed periods?

Dr. Sanya Dhingra
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 04, 2021

My periods are irregular for the past five months. I had unprotected intercourse and then I took I-pill. After six days, I got normal bleeding for five days. Then I had protected sex. I did not get periods for 38 days after having protected sex. I checked serum beta Hcg levels and it was normal. I consulted a doctor and she suggested me to take Primolut N tablet for five days. After completion of its course, I started to have bleeding for two days. On the third day, the bleeding was light with pink color. Now, I did not get my periods for 40 days. I have pain in my stomach and legs. I am worried. Am I pregnant or it is just a hormonal imbalance? I am stressed. Please help me.

#

I understand your concern. I give you some advice regarding contraception first. Always remember to use a barrier like condom during intercourse. It not only prevents pregnancy but it also prevents STD (sexually transmitted disease). In case if you have unprotected intercourse, then you can take an emergency contraceptive pill within 72 hours of intercourse. As you have taken hormonal pills frequently, it is normal to have a delayed, scanty and irregular periods. Crampy pain in the stomach and legs can occur due to ovulation. Do not worry and wait for periods. In case, if your periods are delayed for more than 40 to 45 days, then you can do a urine pregnancy test at home using pregnancy kits.

|