Q. I had intercourse 25 days back, and I missed my periods. Should I take Mifepristone pills?

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a female who is 164 cm tall and weighs about 58 kg. I had intercourse 25 days back. My menstrual period should come 12 days before, but I missed my periods. I did not take any medication, and the HCG urine test was negative. Is it safe to take Mifepristone plus Misoprostol pills one week after a missed period even though HCG urine tests are negative?

#

Thanks for reaching out. Mifepristone and Misoprostol are hormonal medicines used for termination of pregnancy. If your urine pregnancy test is negative, you should not be taking these medicines. As these are hormonal medicines, there are a lot of unwanted side effects of these medicines. My recommendation is not to take this medicine now on the background of just a missed period and urine pregnancy test negative. Ideally, if your periods do not come next week, you should repeat the urine pregnancy test. I hope this helps you with your query. Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Thanks for your reply.

What if the urine pregnancy test keeps on showing negative even though I am pregnant?

#

It is very unlikely that a urine pregnancy test will be negative if you are pregnant. In that case, you can do a blood beta HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test, which will be very confirmatory.

Thank you, doctor, for ypur reply.

I have done a blood beta HCG test. I got a result of <2.0 mIU/mL. What does it mean?

#

I went through your query again. Beta HCG levels less than five means the person is not pregnant. In your case, it is two, which means you are not pregnant. So you do not need to take Mifepristone and Misoprostol. There is no pregnancy at this time, so do not stress. If you have not got your periods yet, you should take tablet Meprate or Medroxyprogesterone acetate 10 one tablet twice a day for seven days. Bleeding will occur within five to six days of stopping the pill. I hope this answers your query. Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Thanks for your reply.

I have not got my periods yet. It has been 16 days of missed period. Never in my life, I had experienced such missed periods. Do I need to take any more tests? Or the medicines that you have prescribed for me are sufficient? Are there any side-effects of taking the above-prescribed medicine?

#

There could be some hormonal disturbances, which could be the reason behind these delayed periods.

Other reasons could be,

• Stress.
  • A recent lifestyle change.
  • Weight loss.
  • Thyroid disorders.
  • PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).

So you could do some investigations to know the cause behind this,

1. Thyroid function test.
  2. Complete blood count.
  3. Fasting insulin levels.
  4. Random blood sugar.
  5. Serum prolactin.
  6. Ultrasound pelvis.

The medicines I have prescribed are sufficient but have side effects like bloating, nausea, and breast tenderness. It will have very mild side effects.

|