HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologymissed periodI did not have my periods for the past two months despite getting negative pregnancy tests. Why?

What causes irregular periods and abdominal cramps in a female despite getting negative pregnancy tests?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At January 20, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 23, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am 24 years old and did not have my period for the last two months. However, I did take pregnancy tests which were negative. At times, I had cramps, but there were no signs of bleeding or spotting. Also, I had irregular bowel movements and could not lose weight. Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Uzma Arqam


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your query and understand your concern.

Many factors can affect the periods, like sudden weight gain or weight loss, hypo or hyperthyroidism, strenuous exercise, strict diet, hormonal intake, or contraception. Consider all the factors. I would suggest the following tests:

  1. Blood pregnancy test (beta hCG) immediately to clear the pregnancy.
  2. Detailed transvaginal scan.
  3. In case of heavy bleeding, fainting, dizziness, or abdominal pain, report to the hospital. If beta hCG (human choriogonadotropin) comes negative, I would suggest menstrual induction by taking Tablet Primolute N 10 (Norethisterone) mg daily for seven days twice a day and waiting for bleeding for seven days.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy