Q. I have panic attacks, anxiety, and related symptoms that make me leave my work. What can I do?

Dr. Parth N. Nagda

I have been suffering from panic attacks, anxiety, and many other symptoms that come along with it. I have to leave work constantly and go home a lot of the time due to a panic attack. Also, I feel as if I cannot stay still in one place for a long time. I constantly need a change of scenery. I was diagnosed with anxiety at the age of 13 by my licensed therapist. They have prescribed me 0.25 mg of Alprazolam, but I stopped taking it. Also, when hospitalized throughout the years for panic attacks, they prescribed me the same. What can I do?

#

You seem to have a mixed anxiety-depressive disorder. This is very common, and about 10 to 15 percent of people have this problem. It is also very easily treatable. You will need to visit a psychiatrist. He will prescribe you SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) type of medicines such as Escitalopram 10 mg or Fluoxetine 20 mg, etc., which will help with your problem. It happens when some neurotransmitters such as serotonin reduce in your brain, leading to a problem with handling the day-to-day stress of life. Medicines are usually given for two to four months and then tapered off slowly and stopped. In addition to the medication, you can also undergo a few sessions of cognitive-behavioral therapy from a clinical psychologist. Also, consider doing deep breathing exercises or progressive muscle relaxation daily. I hope this helps you.

I suggest tablet Escitalopram 10 mg once at night and tablet Clonazepam 0.25 mg once at night for one month.

After one month.

|