Q. I get moles in my chest area after a sunburn. Why?

Dr. Subhash Kashyap
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2020

I am a 27-year-old male. I have never had an increase in moles, except for the past two weeks I have had over 50 show up on my chest. In the past two months, I moved from one country to another, and a month ago, I had a really bad sunburn in Indonesia.

#

Moles are genetic collection of melanocytes which go through a cycle of emerging in childhood then become darker and fade by middle ages. In fair skin up to 50 are normal more than that increase the risk for skin cancer. And change in size, symmetry, color, symptoms also is a risk factor.

Mole or nevi as called in medical term appearing in adult age like in you are always a risk factor. And in such an abrupt manner more so. They need to be followed up for any change in color, size, symmetry border, symptoms, and so. All your moles that I can see in the photo are harmless. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Mole does increase after prolonged sun exposure as you give history. I hope you do not have any other medical problems.

I advise you an initial in physically examination by a dermatologist, you can wait for lockdown, not an emergency, then you can do it yourself, all the mole for the changes described earlier, at least once a month and a complete work done by a dermatologist once every six months.

Lifetime risk is very low but if you have fair skin, adult moles, more than fifty you need that follow-up to be on the safer side.

Sun exposure.

Workup for changes.

Seborrheic keratosis.

Screening for changes.

Every six months.

|