Q. I have a mole on my belly which I worry could be a melanoma. Does it appear so?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

I am a 33-year-old male. I have a mole on my belly which is darker than the others (almost black in the middle) and I wonder if it is still just a regular (or atypical) mole and nothing to worry about or if it could be something worse (melanoma). I am attaching three images in different lightings. Some additional information: I do not have too many moles, maybe less than 40, but the others look different (much lighter). I pretty much do not tan at all, and have very little to no exposure to the sun. No one in my family had skin cancer. The mole does not ache, itch or burn. It does not bleed either, it is just there. I have had it for quite a while, at least seven or more years, though I cannot remember when it popped up originally which brings me to the next point. I do not know if it got bigger or darker over time as I never really paid much attention to it. I think it is roughly the same size, though. As seen in the bottom picture, it is about 4 mm in diameter. It is very slightly protruding or elevated, but not much. I have heard about this whole ABCDE test to spot malignant moles and based on that, it should be fine. But still, the color is strangely dark. So, I would love to know if it is something I should worry about or just observe in the future or does it look like cancer to you?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have reviewed the clinical photographs attached to the query (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is a melanocytic nevus which is basically tan brown macules with increased melanocytic activity.
  • One should always look for the following changes in a melanocytic nevus.
  1. Change in color and irregular surface.
  2. Increase in the size of the lesion.
  3. Irregular margins.
  4. Inflammation.
  5. Bleeding, crusting, and oozing.
  • There are types of melanocytic nevus. These are basically benign growths but there can be a chance of malignant transformation. The exact incidence is not known.
  • Since there is no change in size, shape, and color of the nevus, there is no need to worry at present.
  • As you are already aware of the ABCDE criteria, you should check for the same from time to time.
  • If at all there are changes, then you should consider a skin biopsy in the future.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|