Q. Is it safe to get a mole removed?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

I have a small, flat mole on my nose bridge. How can I remove it? Please recommend the best method with your professional advice.

#

I have seen your query and concern.

• With your descriptions, since mole is flat means you have a superficial melanocytic nevus.
  • If you want to get it removed, then I would recommend you shave excision under local anesthesia by a dermatologist. This procedure has very good cosmetic results. I have done around thousand of cases with this procedure with minimal to no scarring.
  • The other options are TCA (trichloroacetic acid) cautery, radiofrequency cautery and Nd:YAG laser treatment (Neodymium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet).

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Is shave excision a painful procedure? Do you think laser as a better option? What are the side effects? I heard somewhere that it is not a good idea to get a mole removed as it can contain cancer cells. How true is this?

#

• Shave excision done under local anesthesia is a single sitting procedure. In this Xylocaine 2% 1 mL (Lidocaine) will be given in an insulin syringe, which is a tiny one. So, little pin prick pain occurs and after that the area gets numb. You will not feel any pain.
  • Laser treatment requires five to six sitting in the gap of one month interval and after that the chances of recurrence is more with this.
  • You have wrong perceptions regarding mole excision. If you do not remove this, then the chance of getting cancer is more. So, better you get it removed.

|