Q. A part of my penis discolored after a reconstructive surgery. How to treat this?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Oct 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Four months ago, I had a reconstructive surgery on my penis for congenital penile curvature. I had some complications such as hematoma and scar leakage, but I am good now. When my penis healed, a part of it became brown/black (discoloration). Is there a way to reverse this discoloration? Maybe what I am facing is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I tried multiple creams and it did not work. Can I treat this discoloration with laser treatments such as IPL or laser resurfacing? How many sessions do I need? I attached some pictures. Thanks in advance.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I would like to know what are all the creams you have tried? Was a skin graft used? If yes, was it a full thickness or split skin graft? And, is the discolored portion the skin graft itself?
  • However, if the skin graft was not used, then perhaps the discoloration is due to hemosiderin derived from hemoglobin breakdown.
  • In any case, I suggest you use a moderately potent topical steroid cream such as Mometasone furoate 0.1 % or Triamcinolone acetonide 0.1 % cream once daily. In addition, I suggest you use Tretinoin 0.025 % cream at night.
  • If these do not help, after a fair trial of two to three months, then CO2 laser resurfacing or Q switched Nd: Yag laser sessions may be considered. IPL (intense pulsed light) will not help with the discoloration.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

No skin graft was used at all. The wound was small and now it has healed. I used Man1 Man oil. It is a cream used specifically for the penis. What is the best and fastest way to get rid of the discoloration? Creams take a long time to be effective. So, what kind of laser treatment do you recommend for a quick and safe result?

Dr. Kakkar

#

• My first choice would be the creams which I suggested. They would be safe to use. If they seem to be failing or show an incomplete response after two to three months, I would consider sessions of Q switched Nd: Yag laser (the laser used for pigmented skin lesions as well as tattoos).
  • Creams can be used along with the laser for additive and faster results.

My husband has got a scar on chest. What is it?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband has got a scar on his chest following a pimple. Now, I feel that the size of the scar has become bigger than it was before. It is not painful, but he feels itchy sometimes. He has the scar for around three years now. He has a family history of keloid in his maternal grandmother...  Read Full »

How accurate is the lever test in diagnosing ACL injury?

Query: Hello doctor, How accurate in your opinion is the Lelli ACL (Lever test)? I am almost three months post-op of having my ACL reconstructed along with a few lesions addressed during the surgery. I am concerned I have ruptured my ACL again after feeling a short sharp pain when turning in the sand...  Read Full »

How can I remove black spots caused by acne?

Query: Hello doctor, How to remove black spots caused by acne? So many black spots are there on my face.  Read Full »