Q. I have little bumps on my genital area. What could it be?

Dr. Charu Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 16, 2019

I have little bumps on my genital area that could be genital warts. How do I know for sure, and what do I do to remove them and prevent infection?

#

I have read your query. I have seen the attached photograph also (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As per details, these are the following possibilities for your symptoms:

1. Molluscum contagiosum is a viral infection caused by Molluscum contagiosum virus. This is characterized by white colored bumps with a central indentation.
  2. Sebaceous gland hyperplasia: It is enlargement of sebaceous glands normally present in and around the genitalia.
  3. Verruca plana: It is viral infection of the skin caused by the Human Papilloma Virus. It is the least likely possibility in your case.

The confirmation of diagnosis is done by clinical examination and if needed, a skin biopsy is done. Treatment depends on the diagnosis. Broadly, Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) works in all the above-mentioned conditions.

You should visit your doctor for clinical examination.

|