Q. I have little bumps on my genital area. What could it be?

Answered by
Dr. Charu Bansal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 16, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have little bumps on my genital area that could be genital warts. How do I know for sure, and what do I do to remove them and prevent infection?



Welcome to

I have read your query. I have seen the attached photograph also (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As per details, these are the following possibilities for your symptoms:

  1. Molluscum contagiosum is a viral infection caused by Molluscum contagiosum virus. This is characterized by white colored bumps with a central indentation.
  2. Sebaceous gland hyperplasia: It is enlargement of sebaceous glands normally present in and around the genitalia.
  3. Verruca plana: It is viral infection of the skin caused by the Human Papilloma Virus. It is the least likely possibility in your case.

The confirmation of diagnosis is done by clinical examination and if needed, a skin biopsy is done. Treatment depends on the diagnosis. Broadly, Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) works in all the above-mentioned conditions.

You should visit your doctor for clinical examination.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is there a chance to get HIV or molluscum from a single unprotected sex?

But, in your case it is sexual as the molluscum is present in the genital area ... Yes, there are chances in any case presenting with molluscum over genital area ...   Read full

I have little bumps on my genital area.What could it be?

Hello doctor, I have little bumps on my genital area that could be genital warts ... Sebaceous gland hyperplasia: It is enlargement of sebaceous glands normally pres...   Read full

I have some eruptions on the skin of my pubic area. What could they be?

.. be molluscum contagiosum or folliculitis. A skin biopsy would help to diagnose. Do you have a history of unprotected sexual exposure? Do not touch or prick it. It can lead to a secondary infection. Revert with more information to a dermatologis...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Sexual Problems and Depression
Depression is one of the commonest psychiatric problems in the general population. About 10 % of men and more than doubl...  Read more»
Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
Skin Care Tips To Win Over Winter
This article discusses a few tips to manage and protect your skin during winter.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.