Q. I have little bumps on my genital area. What could it be?

Dr. Charu Bansal
Published on Jul 07, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 16, 2019

I have little bumps on my genital area that could be genital warts. How do I know for sure, and what do I do to remove them and prevent infection?

Dr. Charu Bansal

Cosmetology Dermatology
#

I have read your query. I have seen the attached photograph also (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As per details, these are the following possibilities for your symptoms:

1. Molluscum contagiosum is a viral infection caused by Molluscum contagiosum virus. This is characterized by white colored bumps with a central indentation.
  2. Sebaceous gland hyperplasia: It is enlargement of sebaceous glands normally present in and around the genitalia.
  3. Verruca plana: It is viral infection of the skin caused by the Human Papilloma Virus. It is the least likely possibility in your case.

The confirmation of diagnosis is done by clinical examination and if needed, a skin biopsy is done. Treatment depends on the diagnosis. Broadly, Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) works in all the above-mentioned conditions.

You should visit your doctor for clinical examination.

Laser Treatment for Pimples and Pimple Scars

Article Overview: This article will discuss laser treatment for resistant acne, which does not respond to topical therapy. Read Article

Phototherapy, which includes both UVA, UVB and blue-red light is known to have beneficial effects on acne or pimples. Some of the lasers have also been found to be effective in reducing active acne. Active acne means an acne which is red or has pus. The laser is also useful in improving acne sc...  Read Article

Though I had HPV vaccine, I am getting warts. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a viral wart on my forehead. Is it caused by HPV? In my teenage, I had warts on my thumb. Even, my doctor gave me vaccine for HPV. Is that worth or useless?  Read Full »

Scaly or Flaky Scalp

Article Overview: Dry, itchy, or flaky scalp can be a sign of dandruff or fungal infection. Dandruff is also the leading cause of hair fall. Learn about ways to get rid of it. Read Article

Scaly scalp or flaky scalp is raised, tiny flakes of skin in the scalp. The common causes of scaly scalp are cradle cap, dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis. Cradle Cap Cradle cap is also known as infantile pityriasis or Infantile seborrheic dermatitis. This condition is common within th...  Read Article