Q. I am having rapid mood swings and suicidal thoughts. Kindly advice.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I am 18 years old, and I have rapid mood swings, and I space out a lot like I have no awareness of what is going on around me. When someone tries to snap me out of it, I lash out. I think about suicide a lot, and I have a history of self-harm, and I have started to drink alcohol to feel normal. What is wrong with me?

#

You are reporting mood problems, history of self-harm and suicidal ideation. When you say you are spacing out, you are possibly describing dissociation which can be a result of high-stress levels. You will benefit by talking to your doctor or a counsellor to clarify the nature and extent of your symptoms and factors which could have contributed to your problems.

The symptoms you report can happen in different conditions in adolescents. The common theme is high-stress levels and difficulty coping with the situation. With appropriate support, you will gradually get better. Have you discussed these issues with your parents or a trusted family member?

I will strongly advise to talk to a trusted elder so that you can access further help. You can also talk to your school teacher or pastoral support. Be open and honest about your feelings. If talking is difficult, you can write down your feelings in a paper and share it with them. You can access support by seeing a counsellor at school or be referred by your doctor.

Avoid alcohol. It will make your symptoms worse and more difficult to manage. Try positive coping strategies like exercise, learning martial arts, etc. I will recommend sharing this query to your parents so that they can support you. It is important to remember that you are not alone. Talk to others. At any time if you feel like you are not able to cope and keep yourself safe, you should talk to a family member or trusted elders. Take care.

|