Q. Does mouth ulcer or canker sores on the side of the tongue indicate herpes virus?

Dr. Kakkar
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Aug 08, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 09, 2019

Can the mouth ulcers or canker sores on the side of the tongue be herpes virus? I also had a couple of mouth ulcers on the inside of my lips, but they appeared and vanished in a couple of days. I never had a cold sore on the outside of my lips but did not know if mouth ulcers could still be from oral herpes. I also had a headache and dry mouth.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Herpes usually causes sores on the hard mucosa in the oral cavity like palate and gums whereas ulcers on tongue, lips, etc., are often canker sores. I could not see any ulcers in the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Kindly upload more images.

What causes recurring canker sores in the same spot?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a recurring canker sore occurring at the same spot on my lower lip. I am getting it for the past one year. It recurs every two weeks. It gets healed by itself after five to seven days. I am using Sensodyne toothpaste and Listerine mouthwash.  Read Full »

How to treat indigestion, gastritis, mouth ulcers and wet cough?

Query: Hello doctor, I have indigestion, gastritis, mouth ulcers, and a wet cough.  Read Full »

Can herpes cause feet neuropathy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have developed feet neuropathy, primarily the right foot from the past one year. The symptoms went away six months back but returned a month back (burning, tingling, etc). I suffer from high blood pressure and anxiety. The neurologists could not find the cause after all tests. I tes...  Read Full »

Ask a Venereologist Now