Q. Does mouth ulcer or canker sores on the side of the tongue indicate herpes virus?

Dr. Sushil Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 08, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 09, 2019

Can the mouth ulcers or canker sores on the side of the tongue be herpes virus? I also had a couple of mouth ulcers on the inside of my lips, but they appeared and vanished in a couple of days. I never had a cold sore on the outside of my lips but did not know if mouth ulcers could still be from oral herpes. I also had a headache and dry mouth.

#

Herpes usually causes sores on the hard mucosa in the oral cavity like palate and gums whereas ulcers on tongue, lips, etc., are often canker sores. I could not see any ulcers in the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Kindly upload more images.

|