Q. I feel dizzy with tingling sensation in my forehead. Is it vestibular schwannoma?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 18, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2019

I would like to know the results of my brain MRI. I do not know what this bright spot near the vestibular nerve is? Can it be vestibular schwannoma? Or something else in some cranial nerves or near the brain stem. In the second picture that is highlighted what can this white cluster shaped thing be?

I have got a few symptoms. For the past three months, I have had tingling and needle sensation starting from the right eyebrow then radiating towards the left side and the entire forehead and right eyelid and sometimes even towards the tip of the nose. The sensation never stops no matter what I do. I feel dizzy all the time like if I am on a boat. When I tilt my head and move it gets even worse and starts spinning. I have a hard time looking at an object and cannot focus. My left eye is getting blood red whenever I look at a screen. My doctor prescribed Cortisone tablets that did not help. My left ear feels clogged and my hearing on that ear is reduced too.

I also have tinnitus lately on the same ear. Doctors at first thought it was due to B12 or Iron deficiency but both are at normal range. My blood pressure is normal too. Lately, I have this numbness and tingling sensations om my feet and fingers too and whenever I visit the toilet when I check the stool is yellowish color and floats on the water and no solid shape. The full blood tests show absolutely normal for liver, pancreas and bile. Blood sugar levels are also normal.

#

I have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The white area in the circle is likely minimal fluid and mastoid effusion in the left mastoid temporal bone, in the inferior air cells area. It can be due to a mild left middle ear infection. Your symptoms of feeling dizzy and spinning and left ear problems can be explained by the finding. There are less changes of vestibular schwannoma in the area. There are no other lesions in the brain.

The inferior air cell area, it is this area you mean? (see attached photo) You say there are less chances of vestibular schwannoma in the area. Do you mean in the same area? And are there chances that this might be vestibular schwannoma? Or that it is not likely vestibular schwannoma?

My doctor checked the ear with a special camera and there is no infection in the middle ear. So what could this white spot be?

#

The inferior left mastoid air cells are more lateral and I have uploaded an image of the area in the link below. The images sent by you with the follow up query is showing a likely vessel in the area. I have uploaded an image of the area in the link below. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The above two areas are different as you can see and both are not likely schwannomas. There is a possibility of infection in the mastoid air cells and is mild. It has not reached the middle ear cavity and so your doctor is not able to give a confirmed diagnosis. You might get tests done for hearing and an HRCT (high-resolution computed tomography)of the temporal bone if needed.

|