Q. Am I at risk of black fungus after a month of COVID-19 if I used a soil contaminated earphone?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I was suffering from the COVID-19 infection last month. Today I went to the park for running, and I had my earphones in my ear. Suddenly I dropped the earphones on the soil. After that, I cleaned it with plain water and again put it in my right ear. Now I am worried about getting black fungus. Is it possible to get black fungus from contaminated earphones? Should I take candid ear drops for not getting the infection? Please help.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your earphone was dropped on the soil during jogging. After washing the earphone with plain water, again, you started to use the earphone. Now you are worried about the transmission of the black fungus through the contaminated earphone. Black fungus is caused by fungal spores found in soil and organic matter, usually inhaled by humans from the air. The fungal spores enter the body and cause the nose to blacken, and the eye develops blurring of vision or blindness and eventually affects the brain if not treated.

Symptoms of black fungus or mucormycosis are facial swelling (unilateral), headache, nasal or sinus congestion, black lesions on nasal bridge or inside the upper region of mouth that quickly becomes more severe, causing fever, cough, chest pain, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, gastrointestinal bleeding, etc. As you have no symptoms at present, there is no need to use antifungal medication right now. However, if any of the symptoms mentioned above appear in the next few days, you should visit your doctor immediately for medical help. So, from a contaminated earphone, theoretically, it is possible to get black fungus or mucormycosis. So, beware of using any contaminated things next time.

Take care. In case of any other query, ask me.

Thanks for the reply.

It fell on the sand, not exactly soil but so many people walk on that path. So I washed it with plain water and put it again in the right ear. Can it cause black fungus? Theoretically, means is there less chance of getting infected? Does Candid ear drop help in preventing the occurrence of black fungus infection?

#

Thanks for joining again.

Washing with plain water may not eradicate fungal spores solely. Hot water with 60°C or 140°F temperature may help to eliminate fungal spores from any substances. Again, washing with detergent or soap can kill the fungal spores. Hydrogen peroxide or baking soda, or even vinegar can kill the fungal spores. As you washed your earphone with plain water, it is difficult to predict whether the earphone was sterilized correctly or not. As you have no symptoms, you need not use any antifungal medication. Again, if there were no fungal spores where you dropped your earphones, there is no chance of spread. So, do not worry. Just let bygone be bygones and be careful now for the near future. Observe and stay calm. Without any symptoms or any ongoing disease process, using antifungal medication is not recommended.

Take care. In case of any other query, knock me.

|