Q. I have a tingling sensation after urination. What should I do?

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Published on Dec 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2019

I suddenly feel a tingling sensation after urination and a slight prick sort of a thing. I visited a doctor for the same and had been diagnosed with a urine infection. I also have a constant urge to urinate. He gave a dose of antibiotics which I had to take for three days. But I just had it for a day and a half as I felt better and I feel the same again. Is it the urine infection itself which has continued? Also, my doctor told me that it is urine infection only and that I will have to take Norflox 400 mg for five days two times.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

Based on your symptoms, you seems to have a urinary tract infection.

The treatment is a full course of antibiotics which ranges from three to seven days depending on the severity of symptoms.

Antibiotics usually give symptomatic relief in 24 hours but it takes minimum three days to clear the infection completely.

As you had stopped the medication in between, you most likely have a persistent UTI (urinary tract infection).

You will have to finish your antibiotic course and in your case, it is better to take for five days because it is a residual infection.

If you still have symptoms after completing your antibiotic course, it would be necessary to further investigate with a urine culture and ultrasound.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

I have a frequent urge to urinate but cannot. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a pain in the lower part of my stomach. I also have an urge to urinate but, feel that the urine is not coming through. It happened to me quite a few times now. Can you explain what is causing this and also suggest a medicine. I am on regular medications for thyroid, migraine, a...  Read Full »

A Patient's Guide to Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections

Article Overview: If you have frequent urinary tract infections, here are some strategies to reduce your risk. Read Article

Dr. Davie Wong
Urologist

1) Post-Menopause: As you get older, hormonal changes cause alterations to your vagina and its contents, predisposing you to urinary tract infections. Topical estrogen applied inside the vagina can reduce the risk of infections. Your doctor will decide if this treatment is right for you. 2) Sexual...  Read Article

I always have an urge to pee after mastubration. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old male. Sometimes, after masturbation I feel urge to urinate regularly after every minute even though there is very less urine. Also I feel pain, some pricking and irritation feel while urinating. Sometimes, even without masturbation same problem occurs. Please advise me ...  Read Full »