Q. I have complete facial numbness, tingling, and headaches after an event. Why?

Dr. Varun Chaudhry
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

Symptoms are presenting as MS due to one prior event several years ago. I have right side numbness, tingling, complete facial numbness, severe headaches. There are two dissenting opinions. Spine specialists believe symptoms are not neurological, but spine damage primarily left. Symptoms are on the right side. Neurologists believe in possible early-stage MS or another possible demyelinating disease. I am looking for a third opinion. There are spinal issues. The question is does evidence exist of even small MS plaques or slight spinal cord demyelination. Kindly give your opinion.

#

The thing with MS (multiple sclerosis) is that once diagnosed. It does tend to wax and wane. So if it were diagnosed in previous scans, I would need some images to review but unfortunately cannot seem to find anything attached. If the present scans also show some spinal or brain changes, then we would go with the neurologist's opinion. I hope this was helpful.

I have attached the images. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Having looked at the spine images (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), there are degenerative changes in the cervical spine, and I would think that the symptoms are likely to be neurological due to nerve root compression.

There is intervertebral disc desiccation which is mainly at C4 to C5, C5 to C6, and C6 to C7 levels. So I would suggest a neurology opinion. On the cervical spine, I am not able to see any plaques per se.

I hope this was helpful. Please get back if you have further doubts.

|