Q. What supplements or vitamins are highly recommended for older adults?

Dr. Manisha

Hi Doc, I'm here to ask what supplements or vitamins (Brands) are highly recommended for elderly aging 65+ both men & women. For a quick background, my father is a smoker & alcoholic while my mother suffers from back or groin pain that every other day, she needs a massage or pain reliever like salonpas and she can't straight her fingers anymore. Both of them suffers from pains that includes joint or bones and was not able to sleep (or was able to but just 2-4hrs a day). I already ordered Fish Oil for them but I'm not sure what other brand of supplements or vitamins they can take with it. Can you please help me? Thank you!

Dr. Manisha

Family Physician General Practitioner
# Hi, Welcome to icliniq. There is no single brand of multivitamins that works for all. Some people tolerate one brand and others find a different brand suitable. Vitamin D deficiency is one of the most common causes of joint and body ache these days. Vitamin D deficiency can further lead to Calcium deficiency. Adding Fish oil to diet may help to some extent. Besides , I would also advise getting blood work done to find out the cause for these persistent aches and pains. Hypothyroidism could be another cause for lack of sleep and pains. Therefore getting thyroid profile check is important too. .In case , getting blood work is not possible at this time, you can safely start Calcium and Vitamin B complex tablets to diet. Usually Vit D and calcium supplements come together
You can find out about some reliable vitamin brand in your country and get one months supply for your parents to see how they tolerate it.
Make sure to give the supplements with food , preferably at night time.
Calcium supplements can be added to diet with a dose of 500 mg/day and if tolerated well can be increased to 1000mg/day
B complex vitamins can be taken at a different time along with fruit or snacks.
Let me know if you need help any further.

|