Q. I am having excruciating pain in my feet with walking difficulty due to falling from height. What to do?

Dr. Atul Prakash

A few days ago I jumped off a gate that was about 10 feet tall. Upon landing, I landed flat on my feet, a surge of excruciating pain took over my feet. Since then, I have trouble walking and the pain has not yet subsided. Though it hurts a lot when I am walking and putting pressure on my feet when I am in a resting position they do not hurt much. I was unable to walk the next day but a day after I was able to start walking.

I am having semester and having a lot of work to do. I may have pushed my feet further and both of my feet of purple bruises on them around the arches of my feet as well as the inner heel. I went to see a doctor yesterday and he said that if I had a broken bone that I would be screaming every time I tried to walk or touch my feet. He said that I likely have muscle contusions and the pain is due to the immediate shock in foot muscles while landing. I have been trying to walk on the outer sides of my feet when I need but I am trying to stay grounded as much as possible. Is there any chance the doctor may have missed something? What should I do? My classes are starting shortly and I am worried that getting around is going to be a major challenge for me.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Without examining you it is very difficult to be precise but I can say with confidence that you have a significant injury as bruising is a hallmark of either a fracture or a significant soft tissue trauma.

Weight-bearing is the second thing we look at and if you cannot bear full weight with your foot flat and walk at least five to seven steps, then again you need to be cautious.

Thirdly, if you have pain at a localized area rather than over a large area then again it is an indication for an x-ray. Looks like you need an x-ray. Not only will it rule out a fracture but also if you have no fracture but have the above symptoms then you need to look after yourself as some times the soft tissues take longer to heal than bony injuries. Also, sometimes you may need an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to be absolutely sure.

|