Q. Is it possible to self-induce a muscle twitch in BFS?

Published on Dec 11, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2019

I had a minor hamstring injury last month and currently, I am receiving physical therapy. In addition, I visited a neurologist for peripheral neuropathy in my foot. Last year my neurologist diagnosed me with benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS). After the injury, I am getting twitches in the injured leg most of the time that is in my right thigh for past three weeks. But, there is no clinical weakness. I can also induce a twitch by tapping the injured inner knee area. My leg injury appears to responding slowly to the physical therapy. My question is, is it possible to self-induce a twitch in BFS? I heard that also in ALS condition one can self-induce twitch. This is bothering me now. Please explain.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

I have read your query and I understand your concern.

• A person with BFS or ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) cannot induce twitching.
  • These are automatically produced and cannot be in fact controlled by oneself.
  • I need few more details in view to help you better. I have a good number of patients with BFS with well controlled twitching on my treatment.
  •  Provide me the following details: Since when are you having this? Is there any tongue twitching?
  • What is the status of your calcium, magnesium and vitamin D? Have you checked these before?
  • Do you have a history of thyroid disorder? Any associated problems like headache and visual issues?

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to a neurologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I am suffering with BFS over a year now. I used to get muscle twitches daily. But this week I noticed that if I tap in one small spot in the injured hamstring area occasionally I am getting a response twitch. My neurologist today advised me to take vitamin D supplement and my magnesium is normal. I do not have any thyroid problem as per recent blood test. There is no tongue twitching. I do not have any associated problems with this.

#

In your case, I would advise you the following, which would help you greatly.

• Along with that take Clonazepam in night, which significantly reduce BFS.
  • Do regular exercise, have a good sound sleep, do less work without stress and reduce your dietary caffeine such as coffee, chocolate and soft drink as much as possible.
  • Meditation has proved to be a very good treatment for BFS.
  • Vitamin B12 supplementation/Methylcobalamine found to have good effect in BFS.
  • Local application of Capsaicin ointment also helps in some people.
  • Now, as far as differentiating between ALS and BFS is concerned, that can be done easily by eliciting your reflexes and performing your EMG (electromyography). So, your neurologist must have ruled out ALS by now.

Idiopathic.

EMG.

1. ALS.
2. Anxiety.

BFS.

1. Reduce stress.
2. Avoid alcohol and caffeine.

For further information consult a neurologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Can vitamin D3 deficiency cause pain in different parts of my body?

Query: Hi, I am a 41 year old male weighing 79 kg. I have vitamin D3 deficiency for the past two years and for which I had Vitamin D3 tablets for three months. Since one year I have pain in my arms, fingers and many parts of the body. Please go through my attached test reports and advice some treatme...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  After going through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your Vitamin D level is very low, and lipid profile is minimally deranged. I suggest you try taking the following medicines. Consult with your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her ...  Read Full

I have muscle twitching. Is it due to vitamin deficiency?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The duration is too short for any serious ailment. It is generally related to stress, coffee intake, and vitamin B12 deficiency. There is nothing to worry. It will go off.  Read Full

How does yoga help senior citizens?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the health benefits and trends for yoga for senior citizens? Are there studios that have classes or professionals that cater to this demographic? Why choose yoga over other forms of fitness and stretching?  Read Full >>

Dr. Vinod Kumar Goyal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yoga is of two types. One for physical exercises called asanas and the second one is meditational yoga. Both have tremendous benefits for life and health. Physical yoga regulates body glands, hormones and cures many diseases of the body. For different persons and condit...  Read Full