Q. I want to know whether the general functions of mitochondria are checked?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

My brother has done a muscular biopsy. I want to know whether the general functions of the mitochondria have been checked and verified in this muscular biopsy. In the hospital, they have checked the muscular biopsy and they are as follows: ATPases (9.4, 4.63, 4.35), menadione, succinate dehydrogenase, DNPH, phosphorylase, adenylate deaminase and cytochrome oxidase.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

• The diagnosis of mitochondrial disease was based on the presence of characteristic ragged red fibers (RRF) in more than 2 % of muscle fibers in the muscle biopsy (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • RRFs are not pathognomonic of mitochondrial diseases, but can also be seen in other conditions like dystrophies and dermatomyositis.
  • The usual stains used in the diagnosis of mitochondrial disorders are:
  1. Gomori trichrome stain.
  2. Succinate dehydrogenase stain.
  3. Cytochrome oxidase.
  4. ATPase (4.3, 4.6, 9.4).
  • I agree that with the list of enzymes provided mitochondrial pathology has been ruled out.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Why are there calcified plaques in the coronary arteries?

Query: Hello doctor, My father had a stent surgery two months back. After that, he has been feeling a burning sensation and deep coughing. Yesterday at his CT scan, the left anterior descending artery had a calcified plaque with proximal LAD of moderate intensity of more than 70%, and also a densely calci...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now