Q. What does echogenic endometrium mean?

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 17, 2022

I underwent myomectomy surgery five months back for fibroid removal. I am planning for pregnancy now. Recently I did a follicular scan on the tenth day of my period and report showed that I have echogenic endometrium. What does it mean by echogenic endometrium? Does it mean my uterus is not healed completely and still have scars? Endometrium thickness is 8.2 mm. Kindly help me understand this.

#

It would be better if you can share black images of ultrasound. It looks like a cyst in one of the ovaries (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

A cyst is not reported through ultrasound and reported both ovaries are normal. I will share images of ultrasound.

#

I saw the size of left ovary and follicle. So far there is ovulation in right ovary and endometrium thickness is good. The only thing about echogenic endometrium it could be due to unhealed scar. Please ask the radiologist to give proper images of endometrium. If you are planning for natural conception then you should have natural intercourse in this ovulation phase.

The right ovary has been reported MSF. Does it mean it has no dominant follicle in it? And how long the scar takes time to heal completely? It has already been five months completed. While scar is there, am I safe to conceive?

#

It could be a scar, just check vascularity within it. When doing next scan, are you having any other medications, like Estrogen tablets? Another possibility is that it could be polyp or artifact too. Plan next scan after three days to see if it is growing or remains the same size. Yes, you can plan pregnancy now provided that it is not a polyp.

I have been taking M2 Tone tablets for first 15 days of my period since two months as suggested by the doctor. After ovulation, I took Progesterone tablets and Folic acid daily.

#

That is fine. Please continue all medicines. You can try for pregnancy, make sure that it is not polyp with color Doppler. From the image, it looks like an old scar.

|