hello, i am a 16 year old teenage girl who has mild myopia. i was first prescribed with glasses when i was in 7th grade, and now i am in 11th grade. my first power was -0.25 and -0.5 dioptre and now it is -2.5 and -3.0 dioptre. at first, my power increased -0.5 in both eyes in every 6 months without fail. for the last 1 and a half year, it has only increased -0.5 in both eyes. i am finally seeing some hope that my power will become stable and i might be able to reduce it, but i am very scared as it has reached -3 in one eye already, and -4 is considered high myopia. please be kind enough to answer my question?
first of all, most of the doctors i have met have told me myopia cannot be reduced at all. on the other hand, i have seen people post online videos and comments about people who have reduced myopia in about a year or two with high dedication, which i am ready to put. are those scam? i have myself met people who say that their myopia was reduced. who am i supposed to trust? should i try these exercises? they have really very high reccomendations. on the other hand i have people saying that i cannot reduce it and it will only increase with time. i don't want it to increase. ques 1) do you know any method by which i might somehow reduced or at least stable my myopia? ques 2) does walking on grass help? ques 3) should i wear less than prescribed glasses so that my eyes will adjust to them if i continuously exercise and eat healthy? ques 4) are their any eye drops you can suggest? at last, should i atleast have hope? i am willing to do whatever it takes. to whom ever doctor reads this, have a great day, and stay safe!!!
hi welcome to icliniq I have gone through your query and I understand your concern and your apprehension regarding the care of your eyes.
1.myopia doesn't resolve . only pseudomyopia does.
2. atropine as a prophylactic treatment has been tried for younger children and its not effective for older children or teens. exercises are for hypermetropia and squint and not for myopia.
3. If your retina and is normal , you dont need to worry, if the glass number progresses a bit in 1 diopter range.
4. orthokeratology contact lenses have been proven to modify myopia in short term but long term results of such trials have shown no difference in such lens users over non users in terms of safety and efficacy.
5. when you reach your is 21st year ,,we can do a laser procedure to your eye, which will make you less dependent on your glasses or contacts. it's called LASIK or PRk.
6. Till then you have to manage with glasses or contact lenses and yearly ophthalmic check ups.
7. walking on grass doesn't help ,but spending outdoors help by reducing the screen time .
8. you should use full prescription glasses and should not reduce the prescribed power ,if your vision is 6/6 with glasses,, again that's one of the treatment options for amblyopia, and not for simple myopia. hope this helps.
Was this answer helpful?|
.. grow in height and built, similarly, your eye size changes, so as your glass number. Usually myopia (minus number) starts at 7-8 years of age and keep on changing till 20-22 years. Your glasses number is small. Keep using glasses and visit your ... Read fullCould wearing glasses with some change in power cause headache?
.. after a change of glasses might be due to over or under correction of glasses or improper spectacle frame and centration. So you need to recheck your refraction and lenses whether they are dispensed according to your prescription. If you are havin... Read fullMy eye power is high. Please guide me with any solution.
Im in a desperate situation following an incompetent dermatologist and now Im afraid I have permanent damage I cannot live with. I was on an antibiotic for acne and a new dermatologist said it was dangerous (every other dr says that was crazy) and s... Read full
Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old and I am in the computer field and have myopia (-10) and cataract in both eyes, will it get stable with time or are there any chances that I can go blind. I am in depression thinking about I might go blind. Read Full »
Query: Hello doctor,Before two years, my eyesight was perfect. But during that time only because of me using phone late night it started declining and now its R= >-2.25, L = >-2.00. I used '>' because I am currently not able to see that clearly with my current glasses. Within the span of three yea... Read Full »
Article Overview: The recent trend of an increase in near-vision work, be it on the Android phone, laptops or on paper has caused us to see the number of myopic patients go upward. This shocking trend can be seen by as much as 50 % of the students in higher primary to pre-university being prescribed glasses for low to moderate myopia. Read Article
This article has been written with an aim to shed light on the various measurements and their meanings in practical terms to the average spectacle wearer, so that the next time s/he is in an optical shop, they will have some knowledge and a basic understanding of their condition. The very essential... Read Article
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now