Q. My 11-year-old daughter cannot see or read letters from a distance. Kindly help.

Dr. Asha Barboza

My daughter, aged 11, does not see distant objects (letters). She never makes any complaint about this nearsightedness, so we are unaware. She is doing her daily activities, like reading, dancing, and playing without any problem. While watching the IPL, she cannot read the TV screen score properly from a distance.

Today we consulted a local eye specialist and told that she might require eyeglasses with negative power. Initially, he gave medications for 15 days. Comoist eye drops, Toba eye drops (Tobramycin), and Polybion LC. After 15 days, he will recheck the progress and prescribe eyeglasses. We are very much worried about this problem. Kindly let us know the exact reason for this problem and treatment options available for permanent cure.

#

It appears that your daughter has developed myopia or shortsightedness. This usually manifests around the age of 11 to 12 years. It usually happens if either parent has a similar problem but can happen sporadically also. These days, it is a common problem with an increased incidence of children developing this problem due to computers, mobile phones, etc. and fewer outdoor activities. Perhaps due to the pandemic, children have been spending most of the time indoors. Myopia usually occurs when the eyeball continues to grow, and her power might keep increasing until the age of 21 years.

The latest treatment options are:

1. Low dose Atropine eye drops like Atroped eye drops, can be applied at night before sleeping.

2. Myopia prevention spectacles like Myopilux or MyoVision, which is a special type of spectacle and the latest technology for reducing/preventing myopia progression. These spectacles are a little difficult to find, so you will have to find out about it from a reputed optical store.

Atroped eye drops are available in our country. But you will have to talk to your ophthalmologist when you meet him after 15 days. She is on antibiotic eye drops because of an infection, so the doctor cannot prescribe her glasses now.

It would help if you encouraged her to spend more time outdoors in natural sunlight for Vitamin D and read in a properly lit room. Reduce the usage of computers and mobiles to less than 2 hours daily. You can also research yoga for the eyes. This is supposed to prevent progression. Some patients say it has even helped reduce it and is more effective when started at an early age.

After 21 years of age, will the problem go away? Actually, she does not want to wear glasses. Will the problem gets aggravated if she does not wear glasses? What about laser vision correction surgery? I have a little doubt about Atroped eye drops. Instead, can he prescribe glasses?

#

Welcome back to iclinq.com.

Since we do not know how much her power is, I cannot comment on whether it will go away by 21 years of age. But usually, once the child stops growing, the power will stabilize. Lasik laser to remove power can be done only after 21 years and when the power is stable.

The eye drops, I suggested, reduces the progression of myopia. And she will still require to wear glasses irrespective of clarity of vision and prevent progression and lazy eye. She can switch to contact lenses when she is about 16 years if she is against glasses. In the meanwhile, tell her not to rub her eyes because astigmatism can occur. Astigmatism is a condition where the front part of the eye (cornea) is not spherical but oval. Since she has not been prescribed glasses yet, we do not know if she has that.

Whichever doctor you decide to go to, ask them about Atroped drops and the special lenses I mentioned viz Myopilux by Essilor. According to what I researched, these special glasses reduce the progression by 60%, which in my opinion is quite significant. There are many reputed eye hospitals in your area. You can visit them.

Please check the prescription and give your valuable opinion. I am deciding to buy a pair of glasses from Lenskart with the following specification. 1.56 index 10% thinner, double side, anti-glare, blocks blue light. Is it really value for money, or can I simply buy from the market? What about her power?

#

I went through the prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It says she has been prescribed -1.5 DS in both eyes. I would not suggest you waste too much money on anti-glare and blue light blocking glasses if it is too expensive, as children tend to scratch and break their glasses inadvertently. These glasses are for people who use computers for 8 hours or more. But 1.5 index is good as it will be lighter, and she will be more comfortable to use it constantly. Just get her checked every six months to monitor if any change in power is required.

|