Q. My thumb shakes when I hold the phone or remote. What is causing this?

Dr. M. A. Toyeb, Nazma Parveen
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

I am 23 years old. I have been having some problems with my thumb. My thumb starts shaking when I use my smartphone or hold a remote control. It started with numbness right below the nail of my thumb. The numbness went away but now it shakes up, down, left, and right. Sometimes, it goes away and then it comes back. I think hot water makes it feel better as it stops shaking after I have taken a hot shower. Also, Aspirin helps a lot. No pain, just feels stiff. What can be causing this? This happens on my right hand.

#

I have read through your question and would like to tell you that stiffness and numbness in the thumb can be caused by a number of conditions. The most common cause is a nerve compression or pinched nerve.

Carpal tunnel syndrome also causes numbness in the thumb. A thorough clinical examination can rule this out.

I would also advise you to get a few blood investigations done like blood sugar, blood uric acid, and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).

If your job profile involves keeping your hand in one position for too long it can be a cause. Whether you have any history of injury to the same hand in the past? You mentioned that it becomes better on applying hot water. Do you notice any bluish discoloration of the fingers?

If all the above tests come clear then we have to look for neurological causes of your problem.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 
1 out of 1 likes