Q. My thumb shakes when I hold the phone or remote. What is causing this?

Dr. Nazma Parveen
Published on Mar 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

I am 23 years old. I have been having some problems with my thumb. My thumb starts shaking when I use my smartphone or hold a remote control. It started with numbness right below the nail of my thumb. The numbness went away but now it shakes up, down, left, and right. Sometimes, it goes away and then it comes back. I think hot water makes it feel better as it stops shaking after I have taken a hot shower. Also, Aspirin helps a lot. No pain, just feels stiff. What can be causing this? This happens on my right hand.

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have read through your question and would like to tell you that stiffness and numbness in the thumb can be caused by a number of conditions. The most common cause is a nerve compression or pinched nerve.

Carpal tunnel syndrome also causes numbness in the thumb. A thorough clinical examination can rule this out.

I would also advise you to get a few blood investigations done like blood sugar, blood uric acid, and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).

If your job profile involves keeping your hand in one position for too long it can be a cause. Whether you have any history of injury to the same hand in the past? You mentioned that it becomes better on applying hot water. Do you notice any bluish discoloration of the fingers?

If all the above tests come clear then we have to look for neurological causes of your problem.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

I have tremors in left hand. Is it rubral syndrome or muscle weakness?

Query: Hi doctor, I have tremors on my left hand. I am on Amantrel 100 mg tds, Frisium 30 mg and Propranolol 40 mg. I have been through two stents in my heart, but I have no myocardial infarction. I am on beta blockers Valent 40mg od and Retorlix 5 mg od. My neurologist says this as Rubral syndrome and ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Let me try to help you. Muscle weakness will not cause unilateral tremors (involving one side). May be the tremors will start in one hand on first day, but within a week you will have tremors in both hands. So, this is not due to muscle weaknes...  Read Full

Can carpal tunnel syndrome cause stiff neck and pain in arm?

Query: Hello doctor, Six months back I was diagnosed by two doctors and tests with carpal tunnel syndrome. The suggestion was to go for an operation which regretfully I delayed until recently. The symptoms got worse. Now I have an appointment next month with a specialist. Meanwhile, I have pins and needle...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Carpel tunnel syndrome will not cause any symptoms in the upper arm. However, it could be due to cervical nerve compression. This could be associated with or without the carpel tunnel syndrome independently. In my opinion, you should go for nerve conduction velocity NCV...  Read Full

I have spasms and pins and needles sensation in my hand. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having spasms in my hand. I had it briefly in the left hand and then, my right arm was feeling numb. This morning my right hand has spasms on all fingers at different occasions with some pins and needle feeling. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.You might have nerve compression from cervical spondylitis.Please consult your GP to get an MRI of the neck.For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now