Q. My son has the problem of tearing in one of the eyes since birth. Please advise.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

My child is facing the problem of tears in one of his eyes since his birth. He is now 9 months old. I have consulted many ophthalmologists, and they all agreed that it would go automatically with daily massage. Though it has reduced now, still it comes. Otherwise, he is in finest health. Please advise.

#

• Your child has congenital nasolacrimal duct blockage.
  • There is a drainage system from eyes to nose known as a nasolacrimal passage, which carries excess water from eyes to nose and gets absorbed by the nasal mucosa.
  • In some newborns, this passage is blocked by a thin membrane. It causes tearing and discharge in infants.
  • The first line of treatment is sac massage, which is very effective. It is usually done till 9 to 12 months of age.
  • If there is no resolution with adequately done sac message till the age of 9 to 12 months, then syringing and probing is done.
  • If watering is minimal in your child without the use of any antibiotic, then you may still continue sac massage. This little watering will come down in future.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

What could be the reason for my one-sided headache?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. My height is 160 cm and I weigh 55 kg. I have a severe one-sided headache. Please help.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»