Q. My son has the problem of tearing in one of the eyes since birth. Please advise.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2021

My child is facing the problem of tears in one of his eyes since his birth. He is now 9 months old. I have consulted many ophthalmologists, and they all agreed that it would go automatically with daily massage. Though it has reduced now, still it comes. Otherwise, he is in finest health. Please advise.

#

• Your child has congenital nasolacrimal duct blockage.
  • There is a drainage system from eyes to nose known as a nasolacrimal passage, which carries excess water from eyes to nose and gets absorbed by the nasal mucosa.
  • In some newborns, this passage is blocked by a thin membrane. It causes tearing and discharge in infants.
  • The first line of treatment is sac massage, which is very effective. It is usually done till 9 to 12 months of age.
  • If there is no resolution with adequately done sac message till the age of 9 to 12 months, then syringing and probing is done.
  • If watering is minimal in your child without the use of any antibiotic, then you may still continue sac massage. This little watering will come down in future.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|